cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MF4880 Scanner Problems

NotMe
Apprentice

After the most recent Windows 8.1 update (installed yesterday), I can no longer scan documents.  the scanning process starts normally.  However, after scanning a random number of pages, I receive an error, and the scanning process is terminated due to the error.

I get this message:

Cannot communicate with the device.

The cable may be disconnected, or the device may be turned off.

Check the device status and try again.

Scanner driver will be terminated.

Code : 155,0,0

I have uninstalled all of the drivers and software and reinstalled them.  This did not correct the problem.

4 REPLIES 4

Patrice
Whiz

Hi NotMe.

I know this error is frustrating and I will be glad to assist you.

Since you have uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers, and the error persists, please follow the instructions below:

1. Open the Windows desktop.

2. Right click on the MF Toolbox icon and click properties.

3. Click the Compatibility tab, then click "Change settings for all users".

4. Put a check next to "Run this program as an administrator", then click Apply and OK.

5. Click OK again on the properties screen.

The MF Toolbox should operate normally.

I hope this information is helpful to you.  Should you continue to experience errors, please contact us at 1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666).

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

This did not work.

Scanning will no longer even start.  I now receive an error that states:

MF Toolbox that is supported by the scanner you are using may not be installed on your computer.

Install the appropriate MF Toolbox, and then perform the operation again.

Thank you for your reply.

Since the error persists, after uninstalling the drivers and software and running the program as an administrator, I recommend that you contact us at 1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666), Monday - Friday, 8:00AM - 8:00PM EST.  The real-time feedback of a live technical support call would be very beneficial in this case.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

I have the exact same error with my MF4890DW, and have tried your solution to no avail.

The fax portion of the machine works perfect though.

All I get is a busy signal at the phone number you posted above.

BTW I'm running windows 7 and my MF toolbox is version 4.9

Announcements