cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MF4700 Series driver causes high cpu usage

rfrye7533
Apprentice

Hello, I just purchased a Canon MF4770 Multifunction laser printer.  After installing the Linux driver my Ubuntu system reports that the driver c3pldrv is using 25% of my cpu.  The computer is running hot and the fan constantly blows to cool the CPU down.  Is there any fix for this?

2 REPLIES 2

Patrice
Whiz

Hi rfrye7533.

The Linux Version driver package includes code components that were not written by Canon USA or its affiliates.  In addition, Linux exists in many different versions, and the driver cannot be tested against all of them. 

Thus, Canon USA is not able to provide a support for this driver software.  The driver is provided "AS IS".  For assistance with the installation of the software, we recommend that you contact Ubuntu's technical support.

We understand, and sincerely apologize for any frustration you have experienced, but we hope that you understand our rationale.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Patrice, this is by far the most [Mod Note: Edited post per forum guidelines] answer I've seen from Canon.  When you say " Linux exists in many different versions, and the driver cannot be tested against all of them."  You are saying "we are an inept company, and we don't know how to properly write linux drivers."  If your answer was even remotely true then how do we have all this great software that runs on all linux distributions?  mysql, plex, x, gnome, libre office, chrome, firefox, WINDOWS itself!....I mean, do you want me to go on?  Furthermore, why is it that HP printers always work on Linux?

Since your position won't allow you to write a truthful reply, let me try for you:

Hi rfrye7533,

We don't fully understand the market potential of linux users, so we prefer to just ignore it to the detriment of our revenue and ultimately our shareholders.  We only focus on the low hanging fruit which is Windows.  In fact, some of the top executives are probably receiving kickbacks from MSFT to keep this printer from functioning properly on anything but Windows.  

Announcements