cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MF4570dn will not print.

lemasters
Apprentice

I bought my MF4570dn new on 10/45/11. I have printed about 4500 pages.  I have used it alot with Adobe Acrobat X to scan pages and combine them into one pdf. I also convert Word documents into pdfs and print lots from Word and Excel, both Office 2003. My system is a Lenovo R500 laptop, Windows XP 32-bit. Everything has worked as smooth as can be until three days ago.

I had just finished combining several pdf  files and two Word files into one pdf. I exited Acrobat X, then tried to print a one page Word document. It would not print. The Word  error message was "Word cannot print due to a problem with the current printer setup." And so on. It still scans and copies just fine. I cannot print from Word, Acrobat X, Excel or from the command line using Echo.

I recently bought a MF4890dw, they are sitting side by side, both connected via USB to the laptop. The 4890 prints fine. It makes no difference if I swap USB cables.

I have deleted the 4570 driver and reinstalled it from the Canon website and from the original installation disk, updated the firmware, ran chksdk, degragmented the hard drive, uninstalled and reinstalled Acrobat X, uninstalled and reinstalled the Seiko Label Printer driver, deleted printer ports and so on. I have scoured the internet for a solution and none of them have made a difference. Nothing matters. 

The Acrobat error message says "The document cannot be printed. " Then "No pages were selected to print."

What in the world is going on?

Thank you,

Gary LeMasters

1 REPLY 1

Deborah
Enthusiast

Hi Gary,

Your confusion can be understood.  There are a few possible causes.  Below are procedures to help isolate and resolve the cause of the issue:

1.  Since you have reinstalled the driver, if you have not done so already, please confirm that your laser product is currently set as the default printer in the Printers area of the Control Panel, or set it as the default and/or delete any pending print jobs: Start > Printers and Faxes or Control Panel > Printers.

2.  If your unit is set properly, proceed to determine if the issue is isolated to Word and/or Acrobat X with a test print from Notepad or Wordpad which can be found under: Start > All Programs > Accessories. 

Please note, the Acrobat message indicates that your print selection is not being recognized. If attempting to print a few pages, try selecting to print the "Current Page" to determine if any change occurs.

3.  Then, please check the status of your device in the Device Manager using the below steps:

a. Right-click the MY COMPUTER icon on your Desktop.

b. Select PROPERTIES on the drop-down menu.

c. Click the HARDWARE tab.

d. Select the DEVICE MANAGER button.

e. Check the list for any catergory listing of 'Other Devices' or 'Unknown Device':   

- If no listing, go to step 6.

- If found:

> Click on the '+' to the left of the category to expand the listing.

> If the Canon is listed with a '?' or '!', delete this by right-clicking on it and selecting 'delete/remove/uninstall'.  Then go to step 6.

f. Click the + sign next to Universal Serial Bus Controllers.

g. See that USB Printing Support (USB Composite Device may also be listed) is listed:

- If step 5 did not contain a listing for 'Other Devices' or 'Unknown Device', just confirm that the USB listing(s) are there.

- If 'Other/Unknown Device' was found and the Canon listing was deleted in step 5, right-click on it and select 'delete/remove/uninstall'.  Follow by removing the USB cable.

h. Close out of the Device Manager.

i. If deletions were made in Device Manager, wait a few moments, then reconnect the USB cable and let Windows find the device.  Check the Ports tab and Device Manager before performing a test print.

4.  If the printer and USB Printing Support are listed properly, but you are still unable to print, please check once more to determine if the print requests are being held in the print queue and delete.

5.  If the issue persists, please try disconnecting the USB cable to determine if a hardware recognition sound is heard ("plunk").  Then, try a different USB port connection on your computer; please note again if the hardware is recognized and you are able to print.

Should the issue remain, please take note of the results of each action performed and Contact Us so that we may assist you further.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.
Announcements