cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MF4270 Scanning Function not working on subsequent boots, MF left on.

woxofcavu
Contributor

After my building a new PC with Windows 8.1,  my Canon MF4270 (which worked fine with Win 7 Ultimate) scanning function will only work:
1.When the driver is first installed. Any subsequent boot (cold or warm) and it fails to work if the MF is left on.  The software (canon toolbox or windows scan) will just hang indefinitely.
2.If the MF is powered down on PC boot and powered up after booting, the scanner WILL work. (Turning it off is not an option, other networked users need it on, nor is leaving the PC on)
3.Have the latest driver from the Canon website
4. Completely removed and reinstalled the driver several times
5. Tried the Windows scan utility
6. Tried different USB ports.
7. When I do get an error msg it is usually a "Cannot communicate with scanner"
8. In Device Manager>Universal Serial Bus controllers>Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed
9. When I call up the properties for the yellow triangled usb device in Device Manager, event tab in the scrollable window:
Device USB\VID_0000&PID_0002\5&e658374&0&9 was configured.
Driver Name: usb.inf
Class Guid: {36FC9E60-C465-11CF-8056-444553540000}
Driver Date: 06/21/2006
Driver Version: 6.3.9600.16442
Driver Provider: Microsoft
Driver Section: BADDEVICE.Dev.NT
Driver Rank: 0xFF0000
Matching Device Id: USB\DEVICE_DESCRIPTOR_FAILURE
Outranked Drivers: usb.inf:USB\DEVICE_DESCRIPTOR_FAILURE:00FF2000
Device Updated: false
10.  Also received a "
Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)
A request for the USB device descriptor failed."
12.  Also tried compatibility routine.
13.  Microsoft site states MF is compatible with 8.1
We run a paperless office so this is pretty huge.  Need your expertise.
Thank You!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Computer Info:

OS Drive:  SAMSUNG MZ-7PD256BW R
Memory:  8Gx2 GSKILL F3-1600C9D-16GXM R
Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-UD7 TH ATX R
CPU: INTEL CORE I7 4771 3.5G 8M R

9 REPLIES 9

Patrice
Whiz

Hi woxofcavu.

I will be glad to assist you with your imageCLASS MF4270.  So that I can better assist you, I would like to ask a few questions.

1.  Are there any devices, such as a USB hub or extender, connected between the printer and the computer?

2.  Was the machine connected to the computer while you installed the drivers?

3.  Are there any other devices listed under "Imaging Devices" in the Device Manager?

I look forward to your reply.  Should you need immediate assistance, please contact us at 1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666).

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Hello Patrice.

Here are your question and my responses:

1.  Are there any devices, such as a USB hub or extender, connected between the printer and the computer?

No.  Direct usb connection

2.  Was the machine connected to the computer while you installed the drivers? 

Yes.  But subsequently removed all drivers, disconnected the MF, rebooted, reinstalled drivers, rebooted, reconnected MF.

3.  Are there any other devices listed under "Imaging Devices" in the Device Manager. 

No, just the MF4270

Just to be clear: 

-The MF has worked error free in Win7. 

-If the MF is off (power switch off) when the PC is booted, then turned on, all functions work.  However this is not an option for networked users.

Thanks for your time Patrice.

Thank you for your reply woxofcavu.

Please follow the steps below and verify if you receive the same error:

1. Open the Windows desktop.

2. Right click on the MF Toolbox icon and click properties.

3. Click the Compatibility tab, then click "Change settings for all users".

4. Put a check next to "Run this program as an administrator", then click Apply and OK.

5. Click OK again on the properties screen.

The MF Toolbox should operate normally for scanning.

If the error persists, I recommend that you contact us at 1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666). 

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Problem still there.  Will call

Thanks for your efforts Patrice

woxofcavu

Hello, I am having the same problems that the person on the the prior post mentioned. I did everything he did, my printer is connected directly to my computer and i followed the instructions you posted but i am still having problems. I get this error: "cannon communicate with scanner, cable may be disconnected or scanner may be turned off, check status"

I check the firewall and it is turned off. Please let me know if you have any other suggestions.

Thanks,

Hi jcuetos!

Welcome to the Canon Forums!

If you've followed the above troubleshooting, we'd recommend that you CONTACT US either by phone during business hours or email 24 hours a day so that we can get you back up and running!

Convinced this is a Windows 8.1 issue (not the driver).  Canon tech support stated it was a problem with the OS.  I tend to agree since the 64 bit Canon driver worked perfectly with Windows 7 64 bit.

Like my Vista experience, I have reverted back to the earlier OS (Win 7) until Win 9 arrives in hopefully, better shape.  Unfortunately, this is not an option for many of us.  Let us hope MS get this fixed.

Is there a Windows 10 driver for the MF4270 printer?

If there is no driver, when will it be available?

The drivers in the Canon website for this printer do not work with Win 10.

I finally found a post that works using the 64 bit drivers on the Canon websitre with windows 10.

1. Download latest Toolbox and Driver from Canon
  2. Enter Safe Mode, uninstall Toolbox and Driver
  3. Reboot back into Safe Mode, install latest Toolbox and Driver from Canon
  4. Reboot into normal mode and log in

The above is what I needed to rid the old and install the new. The following from another source is what I think the real fix was for me:

We need to make sure a certain folder path is in your path environment variable.

Let us determine the correct path to add into the Path environment variable. Look in C:\Windows\twain_32 and there should one other folder in there. For example the folder name should be MF4200.

This is the path that is needed to be added into the path environment variable.

C:\Windows\twain_32\MF4200

Now, follow these instructions to get to the dialog to modify the path environment variable.

1. Control Panel > System > and then choose Advanced System Settings in the left hand column.
  2. This will bring up the System Properties dialog (it should already be on the Advanced tab).
  3. At the bottom of this dialog is an Environment variables button. Clicking this button will bring up the Environment variables dialog.
  4. In the bottom panel, scroll until you find the variable named path. Select this one and then hit the Edit button to bring up the Edit System variable dialog.
  5. In the Variable value text box, scroll all the way to the right and then add in the path C:\Windows\twain_32\MF4200 that was determined earlier. Make sure to separate this value with a preceding semi-colon. And also be careful not to make any other changes to this value.

Next:

Start> in the run box type. Services.msc

Scroll down to Windows Image Acquisition (WIA)

Right click, select Properties

Check that Startup type is set to Automatic

Click Log On Tab

Check that Local System account , and Allow service to interact with desktop is checked. Hit apply.

Click Recovery...Click on window next to First Failure, Scroll to Restart the Service. Hit apply."

Now click on OK and check if it works.

Announcements