cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MF227dw beeps but doesn't print certain files

AndreaC
Apprentice

I have a weird problem with a Canon MF227dw. Sometimes certain documents (mostly PDFs) do not print: the printer just beeps as it normally does after finishing printing, but with no other visible actions (e.g., sheets are not fed from the tray, and I don't hear the printer warming up). I'm using a Mac and I tried both from Preview and Adobe Reader. No error is displayed on the computer or the printer. I tried both with wireless printing and connecting the printer directly via USB. I tried restarting the printer and resetting the printing system on my Mac. It happens only on specific documents, and I found no way to print them on that printer. The same documents print on different printers (I tried on Xerox printers, HP and Toshiba) from the same computer.

Today I downloaded three scientific papers from the same source (a conference website) and I can't print any of them. So there must be something offending in the documents (they are all formatted in the same way, coming from the same source), but I can't figure out what's wrong. Any suggestions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

James_C

Hi AndreaC         

There are a few features within Adobe Acrobat that can be changed that will allow you to print your PDF files again.  To make these changes, please follow these steps:

1.  Open your PDF in Acrobat Reader.

2.  Click on Edit and then Preferences.

3.  In the left hand pane, click on Security (Enhanced).

4.  Remove the checkmarks from "Enable Protected Mode at startup" and from "Enable Enhanced Security".

5.  Close Acrobat Reader.

6.  Open your PDF again with Acrobat Reader.

7.  Click on File and then Print.

8.  Click on the Print button.

Your PDF file will now print.

If you continue to have difficulties, please contact our support group using the following link:

http://Canon.us/ContactLI                             

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

bradwmson
Apprentice

I'm having the identical problem on a MF247dw - some files print, most pdfs dont - no error message - just a beep.

James_C

Hi AndreaC         

There are a few features within Adobe Acrobat that can be changed that will allow you to print your PDF files again.  To make these changes, please follow these steps:

1.  Open your PDF in Acrobat Reader.

2.  Click on Edit and then Preferences.

3.  In the left hand pane, click on Security (Enhanced).

4.  Remove the checkmarks from "Enable Protected Mode at startup" and from "Enable Enhanced Security".

5.  Close Acrobat Reader.

6.  Open your PDF again with Acrobat Reader.

7.  Click on File and then Print.

8.  Click on the Print button.

Your PDF file will now print.

If you continue to have difficulties, please contact our support group using the following link:

http://Canon.us/ContactLI                             

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Hi James_C,

thank you for your help. I had to modify your instructions a little bit. I'm using Adobe Reader 11.0.23 on a Mac, and the Preferences menu entry is under the Adobe Reader menu, not the Edit menu. Also, there's no "Enable Protected Mode at startup" option. Anyway, disabling the "Enable Enhanced Security" option did the trick. Thanks!

Regarding the MF247dw beeping and not printing...

I am a Mac user also, and similar to AndeaC, I followed your instructions, modifying them for the Mac. Rather than deselecting Enable Enhanced Security in Acrobat >> Preferences (v9.5.5), I simply exempted the Folder path. My document then was successfully printed.

I cannot, however, print the same document from Preview, since it was the app that was modified as opposed to the document. Is it possible to defeat the enhanced security protocols in Preview, where I do most of my printing?

Thanks for helping!

Brad

This isn't going well. On my MF247dw, I'm now having problems printing MS Word documents that have been emailed to me as well. The printer just beeps and clears the queue.

Deselecting Enable Enhanced Security in Adobe Acrobat makes no difference, nor does adding folder paths that are exempt. Creating a pdf from the MS Word documents is also not successful. 

Needless to say, this needs some attention. I have six printers in my office, including a Canon inkjet, and none of them have any difficulty printing any of these documents.

To summarize, I have documents that cannot be printed from MS Word for Mac; 2011, Preview 8.1, and Adobe Acrobat 9.5.5. The Mac is running OS X 10.11.6. I have not found a successful work around. I have not encountered these issues on any other printer.

Any insight would be appreciated. I'm on the verge of returning the printer.

Announcements