cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MF Toolbox doesn't work on Windows 10

mj1856
Apprentice

I have a MF4570dn, and recently upgraded from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10.

I can no longer scan using the MF Toolbox utility.   I had MF Toolbox 4.9 installed before the upgrade, and it worked just fine.  After the upgrade, I get "Cannot communicate with the scanner" error dialog:

Error1.png

I thought I would try to reinstall the MF Toolbox utility, but there are two problems.

1) The downloads page shows no downloads for Windows 10 for this printer. This should be updated.

2) I downloaded the one for Windows 8.1, and tried to reinstall, but it just hangs at the "Processing Installation" screen:

Error2.png

I've also tried to uninstall the existing MF Toolbox first, and it also hangs at this same dialog.

I've also tried various other things without success:

- Connecting via USB instead of Network.  It detects the scanner, and MF Toolbox can switch to that device, but it still gives a communications error.

- Trying the built-in Windows Scan app instead of MF Toolbox.  It uses the WIA driver.  It barely starts to scan, then immediately cancels.

Please Canon - forward this to your engineers and provide a fix asap.  I cannot use my scanner on Windows 10.

(I can use the printer functionality just fine.)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thanks.  My model's links are different, but the new software appears to work.

https://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer/printers_multifunction/imageclass_series/imageclass_...

Also, to get the old toolbox uninstalled, I had to reboot into safe mode.  Otherwise the uninstaller just hung.  Then booted back into regular mode, removed all traces of the existing printer, then reinstalled the new software and it works great.

View solution in original post

435 REPLIES 435

I get an error saying the toolbox installation was interrupted. Am I doing something wrong? (Win10)

Thanks!

Mike

Downloaded on the MF4450 drivers but not the Toolbox. Used Windows 10 scan.... works!!

MikeyJ,

Does that solution allow you to use the document feeder for scanning? 

Thanks!

Sam

Yes, can use doc feeder.

Thanks man, it works great for me and i now have preview scan, which i didn't have before.

thank you very much

You're welcome!  Kudos should go to 'Captret' who posted it originally in 2014 as a fix for same problem in Windows 8.1.  It worked for me then so when I struck problem again after upgrading to Windows 10, I tried it once more with great success.

I tried Kudos but didn't work so here's a reply

Everything I did 

I swear the fix is hit right on the head by you (Piers_A)

I thank you

For some reason Windows 10 WIA service default setting is to log onto scanner...

When I swtiched it too 

Check that Local System account , and Allow service to interact with desktop is checked. Hit apply.

It worked like a charm

Thank you for saving more aggravation but you found the culprit

Thank you

Thanks aholic.  I hope the original solution provider, Captret, is following this!

IT WORKED!!! Simple, easy!!! AWESOME!!!
Thanks Captret and Piers_A 🙂
My workhorse is back online!

Though the solution is not originated from you, still want to say thank "Piers_A "  (posted on

08-19-2015 10:36 PM) for sharing the solution with us. At first I thought it is very complicated to change setup so I tried other solutions but none of them work. Eventually I decide to work on the solution you posted on 08-19-2015. Surprisingly, it is pretty simply to change the setup and it does work. Thanks so much for sharing 'Captret' solution with us.

Announcements