cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MF Toolbox doesn't work on Windows 10

mj1856
Apprentice

I have a MF4570dn, and recently upgraded from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10.

I can no longer scan using the MF Toolbox utility.   I had MF Toolbox 4.9 installed before the upgrade, and it worked just fine.  After the upgrade, I get "Cannot communicate with the scanner" error dialog:

Error1.png

I thought I would try to reinstall the MF Toolbox utility, but there are two problems.

1) The downloads page shows no downloads for Windows 10 for this printer. This should be updated.

2) I downloaded the one for Windows 8.1, and tried to reinstall, but it just hangs at the "Processing Installation" screen:

Error2.png

I've also tried to uninstall the existing MF Toolbox first, and it also hangs at this same dialog.

I've also tried various other things without success:

- Connecting via USB instead of Network.  It detects the scanner, and MF Toolbox can switch to that device, but it still gives a communications error.

- Trying the built-in Windows Scan app instead of MF Toolbox.  It uses the WIA driver.  It barely starts to scan, then immediately cancels.

Please Canon - forward this to your engineers and provide a fix asap.  I cannot use my scanner on Windows 10.

(I can use the printer functionality just fine.)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thanks.  My model's links are different, but the new software appears to work.

https://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer/printers_multifunction/imageclass_series/imageclass_...

Also, to get the old toolbox uninstalled, I had to reboot into safe mode.  Otherwise the uninstaller just hung.  Then booted back into regular mode, removed all traces of the existing printer, then reinstalled the new software and it works great.

View solution in original post

435 REPLIES 435

Thanks - this worked for me and was really quick to do - no re-installation necessary and I've now got scanning from the autosheet feeder too.

it worked and fixed my problem, thank you so much..!!

I just tried to use the MF toolbox to scan but I get the message "There is no scanner selected. please select a scanner"

When I go to settings to select a scanner, it gives me the following message:

Cannot communicate with the scanner.

The cable may be disconnected, or the scanner may be turned off.

Check the scanner status and try again.

Scanner driver will be terminated.

I was scanning fine until 14 December 2015. I did not use the scan since then. I have upgraded to Windows 10 just fine, downloaded and installed the new toolbox just fine and used the scan just fine up unitl then.

What the hell happened between 14 December and now?

Note that I can print just fine as well. Please help.

Major Windows 10 update is what happened.

The solution below worked for me and many others, thanks to Piers A

Piers_A wrote:

This simple fix I found online worked for me:

Start> in the run box type. Services.msc

Scroll down to Windows Image Acquisition (WIA)

Right click, select Properties

Check that Startup type is set to Automatic

Click Log On Tab

Check that Local System account , and Allow service to interact with desktop is checked. Hit apply.

Click Recovery...Click on window next to First Failure, Scroll to Restart the Service. Hit apply.

Thank you for your fast answer and the time you spent for it!

I had already fixed the problem though by uninstalling and reinstalling the driver. Strangely enough for my usual computer problems and tough luck, this worked out.

i agree with you that the problem is from a windows 10 update... because i had no issues for a while until recently.  

i couldn't get what worked for you to work for me though.  

i did a windows restore to a couple weeks earlier and that fixed it.  obviously, this problem will reoccur for me though.

The solution below worked perfectly for my MF4150 with USB connection to the printer.

===

Piers_A wrote:

This simple fix I found online worked for me:

Start> in the run box type. Services.msc

Scroll down to Windows Image Acquisition (WIA)

Right click, select Properties

Check that Startup type is set to Automatic

Click Log On Tab

Check that Local System account , and Allow service to interact with desktop is checked. Hit apply.

Click Recovery...Click on window next to First Failure, Scroll to Restart the Service. Hit apply.

===

Thanks,

Pierre

MF6580PL. Thanks Piers_A (19Aug2015)This worked for me.

Failure to scan - or, more bizarrely, taking up to 5 minutes to start scanning - started for me In Win7 but became impossible in Win10.

I noticed that scanning worked if the printer was turned on before booting the PC, but not if turning on the printer when the PC had booted.

I had noticed that I got strange WIA errors on booting. They have now gone too.

======

Postscript: the problems came back. Grr.

Thank you so much! 

I was not able to scan on my Canon Imageclass MF4150 after I upgraded to Windows 10 this morning.  I immediately tried to remove/back out this upgrade, but that had its own issues.  This Canon is a workhorse.  I use it to scan and print regularly for work and quickly regretted upgrading to Windows 10.   I thought I would have to purchase a new machine.

This solution you proposed has resolved my problem.  Thank you again! 

This was in response to the solution offered by Piers_A on 08/19/15.
Announcements