cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MF Toolbox doesn't work on Windows 10

mj1856
Apprentice

I have a MF4570dn, and recently upgraded from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10.

I can no longer scan using the MF Toolbox utility.   I had MF Toolbox 4.9 installed before the upgrade, and it worked just fine.  After the upgrade, I get "Cannot communicate with the scanner" error dialog:

Error1.png

I thought I would try to reinstall the MF Toolbox utility, but there are two problems.

1) The downloads page shows no downloads for Windows 10 for this printer. This should be updated.

2) I downloaded the one for Windows 8.1, and tried to reinstall, but it just hangs at the "Processing Installation" screen:

Error2.png

I've also tried to uninstall the existing MF Toolbox first, and it also hangs at this same dialog.

I've also tried various other things without success:

- Connecting via USB instead of Network.  It detects the scanner, and MF Toolbox can switch to that device, but it still gives a communications error.

- Trying the built-in Windows Scan app instead of MF Toolbox.  It uses the WIA driver.  It barely starts to scan, then immediately cancels.

Please Canon - forward this to your engineers and provide a fix asap.  I cannot use my scanner on Windows 10.

(I can use the printer functionality just fine.)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thanks.  My model's links are different, but the new software appears to work.

https://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer/printers_multifunction/imageclass_series/imageclass_...

Also, to get the old toolbox uninstalled, I had to reboot into safe mode.  Otherwise the uninstaller just hung.  Then booted back into regular mode, removed all traces of the existing printer, then reinstalled the new software and it works great.

View solution in original post

435 REPLIES 435

I actually spent 90 minutes on with canon support today.  It is amazing that they are unaware of this problem and that they could not help me fix it.  Pretty pathetic.

Marc before doing anything check your windows 10 settings

I am pretty sure everything is fine, the drivers the toolbox everything just WIndows 10 settings is all you need to change.

I truly believe the default setting has to be Check that Local System account , and Allow service to interact with desktop is checked. Hit apply.

The defauylt setting is set to login user name/ password when it shoudl be  Allow service to interact with desktop

I truly believe that one tick will fix all...

Piers_A Had the answer the entire time all the rest is useless I am pretty sure...

Here is what he posted...

This simple fix I found online worked for me:

Start> in the run box type. Services.msc

Scroll down to Windows Image Acquisition (WIA)

Right click, select Properties

Check that Startup type is set to Automatic

Click Log On Tab

Check that Local System account , and Allow service to interact with desktop is checked. Hit apply.

Click Recovery...Click on window next to First Failure, Scroll to Restart the Service. Hit apply.

Thank you for that information.  I just tried it,but the computer still gives an error message that it cannot communicate with the scanner.  It did not work. 😞

Yes, unfortunately, neither Piers_A nor aholic solutions worked for me.

Since I really need the scaning working, I am not upgrading another laptop, which I have dedicated as "server" of my LAN.

Smiley Sad 

Solved / workaround. Canon MF4010

I was facing the same issue - after normal installation I was able to scan one page. On the second time - Toolbox started to "not respond". 

Could not uninstall Toolbox in normal mode

- uninstalled drivers in normal mode

- uninstalled Toolbox in safe mode

- installed drivers in normal mode

- installed Toolbox in safe mode

Problem appears, when I disconnect USB cable and connect it back without restart - then scanning function stops working, and Toolbox starts to "not respond" if used. But this is an issue, and is documentet in latest driver package PDF file:

"Windows 8_Notice_ENG.pdf", and of course, is an issue in Windows 10 too:

[Limitations During Operation]

When using the scan function while the device is connected
 to a computer by USB, removing the USB cable and then
plugging it back in or turning the device off and then on 
will cause the scanning function to be unable to execute. If this
occurs, please restart the computer.

Try this first from Piers_A. This worked for me:

Re: MF Toolbox doesn't work on Windows 10

This simple fix I found online worked for me:

Start> in the run box type. Services.msc

Scroll down to Windows Image Acquisition (WIA)

Right click, select Properties

Check that Startup type is set to Automatic

Click Log On Tab

Check that Local System account , and Allow service to interact with desktop is checked. Hit apply.

Click Recovery...Click on window next to First Failure, Scroll to Restart the Service. Hit apply.

I've also had the same problem and have tried a number of fixes.  One worked temporarily until a Windows update caused the problem to recur.  

I've just used revo uninstaller (free and safe) to delete all traces of MF toolbox and drivers.  I then reinstalled everything from the Canon website (drivers for MF4150 and MF toolbox 4.9).  

Everything seems to work.  Print and scan.  

Too early to tell if next automatic Windows 10 update causes a problem.

ITM-LCVSN
Apprentice

Hello,

Have tried all the usual tricks (re-installation/ip change etc...)

All of our 9 business computers are OK with Windows 8 Pro. Our first swap to Windows 10 is fatal for SCAN.

Very regrettable that Canon has not "Seen the Possible" !!!!

Success!  I was able to remove 4.9.1.1.mf16 in Safe Mode and then install 4.9.1.1.mf17 in Safe Mode and that did the trick.  I can now scan!

I did the same thing. I unistalled MF toolbox in safe mode, reinstalled it and rebooted. It now works. I did not unistall any drivers.

Announcements