cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MF 216n will not scan, please help

airmann70
Apprentice

I can print fine with a USB cord, but when I try to scan it says the computer is not connected. I've tried turning everything on and off and disconnecting and reconnecting the cord.  Presently running windows 10, with latest Canon software, driver, patch from canon.com.  Thanks

6 REPLIES 6

ComeOnStupid1
Apprentice
I've had that problem for months and so far have not been able to find a solution. I had to buy a separate scanner so I can still scan important documents. Hopefully somebody will give you an answer that will actually work.

Hi ComeOnStupid1! 

Thanks for joining and posting in the Canon Forums! 

The Forum is not intended for immediate help, but a place to allow for the Community to give you assistance and feedback.

If you are in the United States and this is an urgent support need, please CLICK HERE to reach our friendly Technical Support Team. 

If you live outside the United States, please click here and select your country or region for your support needs.

We hope this helps! 

KDef
Enthusiast
"it says the computer is not connected"

Does it not show the name of the PC in the list of devices to scan to, or does it show the name, but say it's not connected afterwards?

If the name is not in the list, first, make sure your PC has a name assigned to it (Right-click the Computer icon, and check the properties window for Computer Name).

If it's there but not scanning, try disabling your Antivirus and try again. I've seen some weird stuff where Antivirus software is actually interfering with USB ports (figure it's random incoming data from a USB port, so it's understandable).

Are you able to scan if you initiate the scan from the PC instead of the scanner? May be a viable workaround if you find out something on the PC is actually interfering with it.

James_C

Hi airmann70     

So that I may better assist you, I will need some more information about your situation.  Do you mind answering a few questions?

1.  Before you downloaded the Patch for Network Scan, USB Scan from our web site, did you download and install the drivers and MF Toolbox from our web site?  If so, did you restart or reboot (turn off the power) your computer before downloading the patch?

2.  Is there an error message appearing on the computer or printer when attempting to scan from your computer from the MF Toolbox software? If so, please list the message verbatim.

Please note, Canon's Forum is not intended for immediate help, but a place to allow for the Community to give you assistance and feedback. If this is an urgent support need, please use the link below to reach our friendly Technical Support Team:

http://Canon.us/ContactLI

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Hello, I am also having an issue with the scanner. It was working yesterday but after I rebooted my computer I can no longer scan.

I ihave downloaded the drivers, firmware, toolbox, and scan patch from the canon website.

When I try to scan from the touchpad, I get all the way to the "confirm desination" screen, but it does not register my touch on this screen so the scan cannot proceed.

Yesterday it was working by right clicking the printer icon and pressing "Start Scan". But now that option does not appear on the menu at all.

Hi smd212.

Right-clicking the printer icon and selecting "Start Scan" will use the computer's pre-installed scanning interface.  Refer to the computer's manufacturer for help with that software.

Since you indicated that the MF Toolbox is installed, try opening that and using the buttons therein to scan.  If the MF Toolbox is able to scan, but the computer cannot be detected as a valid destination by the MF216n, then you'll need to ensure your antivirus, firewall, and router are allowing the printer to communicate back to the computer.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Announcements