cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ImageClass LBP6230dw laser Wireless not recognized on Mac Mavericks

Juney
Apprentice

Hello,

First time Canon purchaser. Just got my new ImageClass LBP6230dw wireless laser printer. Connected to my Mac OSX with Mavericks operating system. Downloaded required software from Canon online. After installing everything, all printing works perfectly (recognized in print utility when USB is plugged in... however, when I unplug the USB port, the print utility shows printer now OFFLINE or sometimes it is not even recognized - therefore cannot print anything because it no longer shows.

I want to print wirelessly.

I have everything setup in regards to my wireless setup assistant - all network wifi-address is correct, WPA security is set, etc.

Also, the wifi blue light on the printer remains lit when I unplug the USB so that is okay. But cannot figure why unplugging the USB cable into the computer port is problematic.

Help appreciated.

21 REPLIES 21

Yup, I hear ya.  I finally gave up on trying to wake up the printer wirelessly.  I had a 50 foot network cable laying around, and ran it between my printer and my wireless router.  Wakeup problems solved. 

Besides, the hard-wired network connection is about 10X faster than the wireless connection, anyway.  In the end, I think I would much rather have the speed.  You can buy a network cable that long for about the cost of a burger combo at your favorite fast food joint.  Some places will charge you 3-10 times that amount for a CAT-6 cable.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I'm thinking of plugging my printer into the nearby Apple wireless repeater device to solve this problem and will report back if that works.

I tried plugging into the local airport express node that connects to my wifi network and couldn't get anywhere. However, 

I may have solved the issue! Not. See next post.

I called Canon support again, connected to another of their helpful U.S.-based representatives, Curtis. We tried to think it through and got me printing without reinstalling the printer on the network. He said that even shutting down a MacBook and starting up again the next day doesn't clear the cache. If you're working on more than one network, settings may be held from these different networks rather than re-set to the current one. He said that a restart clears the cache in a Mac. With him on the phone I restarted it, opened a document, told it to print. It took about 20 seconds for the printer to connect and start printing, but it did. This was without turning the printer off and on.

Here are some other things Curtis said that could help others in this situation. If the problem is not with the printer (awhile back Canon sent me a refurb unit to try in place of my new one. That had the same problem, so I returned that printer), it is probably with the MacBook (maybe 10%) or with the router (90%). Also several months ago I took the MacBook and the printer to an Apple store. I didn't take my router. I was working with an expert guy there who worked with me for 40 minutes before keeping the printer and MacBook overnight. I was able to get working but continued having the same issue discussed here, where the fix doesn't last.

Here's what Curtis suggests, in this sequence:

Restart the router at least 4 times a year, regardless of router manufacturer

Restart the printer

Restart the Mac

This will keep all devices smoothly interfacing and should also benefit the functionality of the Mac.

I will assume now that it's all working. If these fixes and procedures don't hold, I'll check back on this thread. For now, kudos to the fine people at Canon, Apple and this forum for helping me solve this problem.

I tried to print today wirelessly and the printer wasn't found. I rebooted my computer and it wasn't found. Not solved.

Just on a lark, I tried to print today and it worked effortlessly in wireless mode. Maybe I need to do more troubleshooting with the router. 

@drgary wrote:

Just on a lark, I tried to print today and it worked effortlessly in wireless mode. Maybe I need to do more troubleshooting with the router. 

Just on a lark, is it possible the router is switching frequencies to find a clear channel?  I am certain that my issue is related to something in my router.  Frequently, my laptop fails to connect wirelessly, and I have to log in again to my router.  When I do, I wind up seemingly duplicate connections, which makes me suspect that the router has changed frequencies.  Windows 7/10.

Also, I read a thread on this forum about how disabling IPv6 in some printers helps Canon wireless printers. 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Hard to tell. I'll have to ask Apple since I'm using an Airport Extreme network or my ISP, which provides its own wireless router. 

I am having an issue with mine as well. I have had issues since Day 1 but after realizing taking my macbook to and from work was messing with the network recognization, all I needed to do was turn the wifi off then on again when needing to print. Today the blue light is just blinking and no matter what I do it won't go solid or connect wirelessly.  

Help!

Hi AbsorbingLife! 

Thanks for posting in the Canon Forums!

The Forum is not intended for immediate help, but a place to allow for the Community to give you assistance and feedback. If are you in the United States and this is an urgent support need, please CLICK HERE to reach our friendly Technical Support Team. If you live outside the United States, please click here and select your country or region for your support needs.

Hello AbsorbingLife,

Since your imageCLASS LBP6230dw was previously printing via wireless communication but can no longer do so, it may be necessary to cycle the power on your router and printer to restore communication.  Please turn off your printer then if there is a power button on your router, press it to turn off the device.  After waiting about one minute, press the power button to turn your router back on.  If there is no power button, please disconnect the power cord for a minute then reconnect the power cord.  Now press the ON button to power the printer back on.  Finally, restart your computer.  Are you able to print now?

If this is a time-sensitive matter, our US-based technical support team is standing by, ready to help 24/7 via Email at http://Canon.us/EmailCF or by phone at 1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666) weekdays between 8 AM and 8 PM ET (5 AM to 5 PM PT).

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements