cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm confused about drivers

JeffL
Contributor

On my WIndows 8 desktop computer, I have an MX452 printer. My Devices and Printers window shows a Canon MX450 Series.  I also get a recurring optional update notification for the "Canon - Printers -Canon MX450 series FAX"   even though I've sucessfully installed it several times.  It has a release date of September 2012.  I noticed that on the Canon site, there are three drivers for the MX450 Series dated 10/1/2013.  Should I be manually installing these drivers?

If I should install them, I do I need to install all 3?

Drivers
Sort by

File Description   Date Size

MX450 series Mini Master Setup (Windows 8.1/8.1...  10/01/1324.38 MB
File Name: mast-win-mx450-1_0-ucd.exe

This file contains the Setup application, MP Drivers and IJ Network Tool necessary for setting your printer up on a network.
MX450 series MP Drivers Ver. 1.00 (Windows 8.1/...  10/01/1318.70 MB
File Name: mp68-win-mx450-1_00-ejs.exe

This file is a driver for Canon IJ multifunction printers. You can install the following items of the software: MP Drivers: The driver for Canon IJ multifunction printer. IJ Scan Utility: The software that allows you to easily scan photos, documents, e...
MX450 series XPS Printer Driver Ver. 5.65 (Wind...  10/01/1314.20 MB
File Name: xp68-win-mx450-5_65-ejs.exe

This file is a printer driver for Canon IJ printers. XPS printer drivers support 16-bpc printing, which enables more smooth gradation printing than the current drivers (8-bpc printing).

8 REPLIES 8

Michael
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hello JeffL.

You can download and install the Mini Master Setup.  This setup contains the MP Driver and IJ Network Tool for wireless use. 

The optional XPS driver can be installed after the Mini Master Setup or MP Drivers are installed if you wished to use the printer with a program that supports an XPS printer.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Michael's answer to JeffL didn't explain why we keep getting product update notifications even after installing the updated drivers.  Will installing the optional XPA driver make this stop?

popstton
Apprentice
Wouldn't it make sense to mention this on the download page to save confusion and having to track down the answer here? Just a thought.

CANON Management,

Please communicate driver & file download purposes & differences on the download page so we know the difference between each type of download and can make an informed decision without having to go to the forum. This is not an efficient way to get the information we need.

Hi bonniegiddens!

Thank you for reaching out to us, we're happy to help! 

When you go to the Canon site to download drivers and software, everything has a description for what the file is, and what it does. You just have to click the "Select" button and it will give you all of the information. The site will even let you know if the software is optional. 

You can find the software and drivers by clicking HERE

If you find that you need additional help, our US-based technical support team is happy to help at 1-800-OK-CANON (800-652-2666) from 10am to 10pm (ET) Monday through Friday.

We hope this helps

Sorry to say this but no, the information is incomplete and/or confusing. For instance, it doesn't say that we must install the MP driver before the XPS driver allowing 16bpc. I had to dig the Web and ended up here in order to know such an utterly basic information, that the MP driver must be installed before hand ("must" it ?...), and it should be mentioned on the download page, especially when both drivers seem to provide the same utilities like network tool etc (are they?)... Not customer friendly at all!

Hi, Ulmo!

This post is rather old, and things have changed quite a bit since then. You'll find all of the most up-to-date software and drivers within your My Canon Account at canon.us/account

If you're outside of the United States, you'll want to visit the site for Canon in your country for support options. Get started at canon.us/globalsupport

The issue is not old, it's still in effect, thus it's still relevant. As I wrote, it's still confusing. Same thing in 2021 as it was in 2017, and that's what should be of concern here 😉

Announcements