cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I enable the scan to email address functionality of the imageless mf628cw?

JohnTiemann
Apprentice

Hi, I have a color imageclass MF628cw and on the printer screen it gives me the option to scan to email adress but it does not scan anything to the email adress I put into the address field. 

I can go to the canon scan utility on my computer and then it will scan it and open it up in my email but I cannot do that directly from printer. Can anyone help me set this up? Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Krill13,

So for me the only thing I did differently, that wasnt explained in the Cannon Forums or online videos, was the "App Specific Password". So to cut to the chase and avoid doing a long disertation with photos I did the following:

1) Create your "App Specific Password" through your email client if your using 2 Factor Authentication

2) Log into the printer (Obviously)

3) Click on "Settings and Registration"

4) From the left hand tree pane head over to "Preferences>Network Settings>Port Number Settings

5) If you havent done it already change "SMTP" from port 25 to 587. Ports 465 and 587 are intended for email client to email server communication - sending email. Save it.

6) Then from the left hand tree pane head over to "Function Settings>TX Settings>Network Setting - E-Mail/I-Fax Settings.

7) Enter the following:

a) SMTP Server Name: smtp.mail.me.com

b) Email Address: Your full iCloud email address

c) SMTP Authentication should be turned ON

d)  User Name: Your full iCloud email address again

e) Password: Your "App Specfic Password"

f) The "Use TLS for SMTP" should be checked since most email clients use SSL and TLS these days.

g) Leave everything else default.

h) Save and reboot your device. I dont have a reboot feature so I have to turn the power of and back on after  10 seconds.

Note: If that doesnt work then your probably going to have to call Canon Support. Hope this helps.

Respectfully,

TonyNC

View solution in original post

27 REPLIES 27

Patrice
Whiz

Hi JohnTiemann.

I will be able to assist you.

First, you will need to activate the Send Function Setting Tool.  Please follow the instructions below:

1. Start a Web Browser.

2. Enter "http://<IP address of the machine>/sendsupport_login.html" in the address field, and press the [ENTER] key on the keyboard.

Once the Send Function Setting Tool is activated, please follow these steps to configure the Send to E-mail settings:

1. Click [Start] on the Send Function Setting Tool web page.

To log on in the Administrator Mode:

a. Enter the system manager ID in [System Manager ID] and system manager PIN in [System Manager Password].

b. Click [Logon].

2. Click [Send to E-mail Settings].

3. Specify the required settings.

[Favorites Number] - Select from the drop-down menu.

[Name for Favorites Number] - Enter the name for identifying the Favorites number.

[Destination E-mail Address] - Enter the e-mail address that you want to send your scans to.

[SMTP Server] - Enter the name of the SMTP server.

[SMTP Authentication] - Select [Not Set] or [Set] based on the authentication settings of the SMTP server. When [Set] is selected, enter the user name in the [User Name] text box and password in the [Password] text box.

NOTE:

Authentication methods for sending e-mails

- To prevent e-mail transmissions by unauthorized users, the machine supports SMTP authentication (SMTP AUTH) and POP before SMTP. For more information on the required authentication method, contact your Internet service provider or network administrator.

- POP before SMTP authentication can only be configured by using the Remote UI. See "Configuring Advanced E-mail Settings" in the e-Manual.

4. Click [Next].

5. Check the settings and click [Register].

6. Restart the machine. Turn OFF the MF628Cw for at least 30 seconds, and turn it back ON.

IMPORTANT

Additional settings may be required depending on the network you are using. For more information, contact your Internet service provider or network administrator.

Once the machine is back on, please scan a document.  If the error persists, please call us at 1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666) for further assistance.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Hi,

I have an MFB624CW and I followed your instructions. I'm using icloud as an email service.

They require SSL authentication via port 587.

In admin menu under networking/e-mail-i-fax settings I have set the following parameter.

SMTP server: smtp.mail.me.com

Authentication SMTP: my email

Password: my password

how do I set SSL port 587 ? I can see use TLS for SMTP (tried with no success)

One particularity of my icloud account have have set two factor authentification, do  you think it might be the issue ?

Thx

JD

To set the SSL Port to 587 on the printer:

Go to: Network settings --> TCP/IP Settings --> (scroll down to) Port Number Settings -->(scroll down to) SMTP, then type in "587" and click "Apply"

Email is sent out OK but the sender address is blank and that goes to SPAM folder by most email servers. Is it possible to assign an sender address?

Hi z54533.

I will be able to assist you.

Please verify that you have entered the email address in the [E-Mail/I-Fax] settings in the Remote UI, by following the instructions below:

1.  Start the Remote UI and log on in System Manager Mode. Starting Remote UI

2.  Click [Settings/Registration].

3.  Click [Network Settings]  [E-Mail/I-Fax Settings].

4.  Click [Edit].

5.  Specify the required settings.

[SMTP Server]
Enter up to 48 alphanumeric characters as the SMTP server name (or IP address) for sending e-mail and I-Faxes.

[E-Mail Address]
Enter up to 120 characters for the e-mail address that you want to use for the machine.

[POP Server]
Enter up to 48 alphanumeric characters as the SMTP server name or IP address for sending e-mail and I-Faxes.

[User Name]
Enter up to 64 alphanumeric characters as the user name for the specified e-mail account when a POP3 server is used.

[Set/Change Password]
To set or change the password when a POP3 server is used, select this check box and enter up to 32 alphanumeric characters in [Password].

6.  Click [OK].

7.  Restart the machine.

Turn OFF the machine, wait for at least 10 seconds, and turn it back ON.

To add a sender name, please follow the steps below at the machine:

<Menu>  <Scan Settings>  <Register Unit Name (E-Mail/I-Fax)>  Enter the sender name  <Apply>  

I hope this information is helpful.  If you need further assistance, please call us at 1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666).

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Jean_Desnoyers.

I recently purchased a Canon Imageclass MF632cdw. I was having similar issues with the scan to email function from the printer. I followed the instructions per Canons Website, Youtube Videos, and other Forums in addition to this one. No luck. Then you mentioned in your reply to Canon about 2 Factor Authenticaiton. I use 2 factor for both of my email clients. I have not seen any response from Canon regarding this nor did any of the other forums mention this as well. So with iCloud and gmail, that i know, have a feature called “App Specific Passwords”. So I generated one and Jackpot, it worked. If it wasn’t for you mentioning 2 factor I probably would of been fumbling around. I was checking router settings, DNS settings, port forwarding, etc. Thanks. 

Tony

Hello,

I have also an iCloud account and I cannot succeed in scan to mail working name@icloud.com

Could you please show us (pictures) what you have filled on the printer interface ?

Best regards.

Krill13,

My issue was specific to 2 factor authentication. Are you using 2 factor for your iCloud account? I use it for both my iCloud and gmail. If so, it will take me a bit to gather photos and post with instructions. I am a novice at this. Thanks.

Tony

Hi Tony,

Yes i'm using the 2 factor authentication.

Here my setup :

smtp.mail.me.com

canon@icloud.com

myname@icloud.com

the application password I named "Canon" generated from my apple id account.

But the scan to mail from my printer using myname@icloud.com doesn't work.

It's the reason I asked yout to show us your Canon printscreen regarding the Scan to email.

Announcements