cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I enable the scan to email address functionality of the imageless mf628cw?

JohnTiemann
Apprentice

Hi, I have a color imageclass MF628cw and on the printer screen it gives me the option to scan to email adress but it does not scan anything to the email adress I put into the address field. 

I can go to the canon scan utility on my computer and then it will scan it and open it up in my email but I cannot do that directly from printer. Can anyone help me set this up? Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Krill13,

So for me the only thing I did differently, that wasnt explained in the Cannon Forums or online videos, was the "App Specific Password". So to cut to the chase and avoid doing a long disertation with photos I did the following:

1) Create your "App Specific Password" through your email client if your using 2 Factor Authentication

2) Log into the printer (Obviously)

3) Click on "Settings and Registration"

4) From the left hand tree pane head over to "Preferences>Network Settings>Port Number Settings

5) If you havent done it already change "SMTP" from port 25 to 587. Ports 465 and 587 are intended for email client to email server communication - sending email. Save it.

6) Then from the left hand tree pane head over to "Function Settings>TX Settings>Network Setting - E-Mail/I-Fax Settings.

7) Enter the following:

a) SMTP Server Name: smtp.mail.me.com

b) Email Address: Your full iCloud email address

c) SMTP Authentication should be turned ON

d)  User Name: Your full iCloud email address again

e) Password: Your "App Specfic Password"

f) The "Use TLS for SMTP" should be checked since most email clients use SSL and TLS these days.

g) Leave everything else default.

h) Save and reboot your device. I dont have a reboot feature so I have to turn the power of and back on after  10 seconds.

Note: If that doesnt work then your probably going to have to call Canon Support. Hope this helps.

Respectfully,

TonyNC

View solution in original post

27 REPLIES 27

Krill13,

So for me the only thing I did differently, that wasnt explained in the Cannon Forums or online videos, was the "App Specific Password". So to cut to the chase and avoid doing a long disertation with photos I did the following:

1) Create your "App Specific Password" through your email client if your using 2 Factor Authentication

2) Log into the printer (Obviously)

3) Click on "Settings and Registration"

4) From the left hand tree pane head over to "Preferences>Network Settings>Port Number Settings

5) If you havent done it already change "SMTP" from port 25 to 587. Ports 465 and 587 are intended for email client to email server communication - sending email. Save it.

6) Then from the left hand tree pane head over to "Function Settings>TX Settings>Network Setting - E-Mail/I-Fax Settings.

7) Enter the following:

a) SMTP Server Name: smtp.mail.me.com

b) Email Address: Your full iCloud email address

c) SMTP Authentication should be turned ON

d)  User Name: Your full iCloud email address again

e) Password: Your "App Specfic Password"

f) The "Use TLS for SMTP" should be checked since most email clients use SSL and TLS these days.

g) Leave everything else default.

h) Save and reboot your device. I dont have a reboot feature so I have to turn the power of and back on after  10 seconds.

Note: If that doesnt work then your probably going to have to call Canon Support. Hope this helps.

Respectfully,

TonyNC

Dear TonyNC,

I return to home yesterday and I follow step by step your requierement.

IT WORKS !!!

Thanks a $$$

Krill,

I’m glad it worked out for you. 

Respectfully 

TonyNC

Hallelujah!  I have been trying for days to get my Scan to Email to work on my ImageCLASS MF743cdw Printer, and your solution fixed it in 10 minutes!  I kept getting the Error #839 that just says "Username and password are not correct".  Of course my username and password were correct. Canon does not even list that 2-Factor Authentication may be the issue.  Plus, to get Canon's Phone Support the wait time was LONGER than an HOUR!  Shame on Canon!  Kudos to you!!!  THANK YOU 🙂 

Spoiler

Hello, I have followed all of the steps and still can not scan to email.   There is no error code on the error report.   It used to work fine!  Help....!?

Hello, Idabao!

If you've followed the instructions and you're still having problems, you'll need to contact support.

If you're in the USA, support is available weekdays from 8:00 am to 8:00 pm ET at 1-800-OK-CANON (800-652-2666).

Outside the USA, please go to http://Canon.us/ggdey and select your country or region for support options. 

Was VERY easy to get through to Canon.  He walked me through it effortlessly.  I love when you do the "test" after they walk you through the steps to correct the issue and IT WORKS!  Thank you Canon!

I ended up calling Canon directly and they walked me through the process quickly and easily 🙂

alexandrenakao
Apprentice

Hi, I just bought a mf632Cdw, and I am trying to set up the scan to send by email to a GMAIL address.

I followed all the instructions of the forum but still did not work.

I don't know the port number i have to use, and the other specifications as well.

Can someone help me, thank you

Hi alexandrenakao,

The scan to email feature is designed to scan to an email server and not a personal email address.  With this said, the easiest way to do this is to scan from the MF Scan Utility and then select Save to PC instead of Attach to E-mail.  Save the Scan to a location that you can find and bring up the scanned image for example from your C:/My Documents/My Pictures folder if that is where you choose to save it.  From this point open up your email program and try attaching the photo/email etc by browsing to the location of where the scan was saved using your email attachment procedure from your email program.. Please click HERE for detail scanning instructions.

Also note that scan to email is designed to work with an on site email server such as an MS Exchange server or a Domino server and not offsite email servers such as Yahoo or G-Mail.

If you continue to have difficulties, please contact our support group using the following link:

http://Canon.us/ContactLI

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.
Announcements