cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I enable the scan to email address functionality of the imageless mf628cw?

JohnTiemann
Apprentice

Hi, I have a color imageclass MF628cw and on the printer screen it gives me the option to scan to email adress but it does not scan anything to the email adress I put into the address field. 

I can go to the canon scan utility on my computer and then it will scan it and open it up in my email but I cannot do that directly from printer. Can anyone help me set this up? Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Krill13,

So for me the only thing I did differently, that wasnt explained in the Cannon Forums or online videos, was the "App Specific Password". So to cut to the chase and avoid doing a long disertation with photos I did the following:

1) Create your "App Specific Password" through your email client if your using 2 Factor Authentication

2) Log into the printer (Obviously)

3) Click on "Settings and Registration"

4) From the left hand tree pane head over to "Preferences>Network Settings>Port Number Settings

5) If you havent done it already change "SMTP" from port 25 to 587. Ports 465 and 587 are intended for email client to email server communication - sending email. Save it.

6) Then from the left hand tree pane head over to "Function Settings>TX Settings>Network Setting - E-Mail/I-Fax Settings.

7) Enter the following:

a) SMTP Server Name: smtp.mail.me.com

b) Email Address: Your full iCloud email address

c) SMTP Authentication should be turned ON

d)  User Name: Your full iCloud email address again

e) Password: Your "App Specfic Password"

f) The "Use TLS for SMTP" should be checked since most email clients use SSL and TLS these days.

g) Leave everything else default.

h) Save and reboot your device. I dont have a reboot feature so I have to turn the power of and back on after  10 seconds.

Note: If that doesnt work then your probably going to have to call Canon Support. Hope this helps.

Respectfully,

TonyNC

View solution in original post

27 REPLIES 27

oldcircusbread
Apprentice

I stumbled upon this forum post in my quest to enable scanning to email from my MF733Cdw via Google repeatedly in various search attempts with the prior steps not completely working, but knowing I was on the right track from these two replies (first to set the destinations through the wizard that uses the IP address, second to use the remote UI by IP address login as manager to set the TX email/ifax settings).  It still wasn't working. 

This video here would have been a big help, so to save others time:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLygv3E0ODY.

You have to go under network from the remote UI and change the port to 587 AND be sure after saving that to go into the TX settings and only use the info precisely as shown in this video, not changing any more check boxes. 

Also note my comment there on this video that gmail blocked the attempt(s) to use the smtp server, so I had to enable "less secure apps."  Google emailed me asking me to review a blocked attempt to request access, and I had to cllck the allow link in the email which then brought me to a page to enable access to "less secure apps."  I did, and it finally works.  

The video would have worked flawlessly had I read the part under the link about needing to enable less secure apps. 

Upon futher investigaion, you cannot enable less secure apps on Gmail accounts with 2FA enabled. Not wanting to disable 2FA on my personal gmail account, I simply created a new email account specifically for my printer and used a rather long randomly generated password and left 2FA disabled. Since the account will never be used for anything other than this functionality I'm not real concerned about 2FA.

!!!! Important, create an app specific password in Google Security settings to get by the 2-Factor authentication issue with Google Logins !!!!  how to: https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/185833?hl=en

I still can't get this to work! I have less secure apps on , I even got a warning from google that it was trying to access so I know there's some sort of communication happening. I don't use 2FA so that is not contributing. 

Still gets an error , it is pretty insanely frustrating. Guess I'll call Canon when they are open next week. 

So I ended up just totally resetting the whole printer and starting over. After that the steps in the videos outlined above worked. The other really stupid thing about this archaic software is that setting up the address book that it only works if you enter it in the section address book from the main admin menu. If I do it through the sendsupport login it doesn't work. 

alexandrenakao
Apprentice
thank you very mich. it worked perfectly!
very happy to finally had it done!

delozied
Contributor

SOLVED - After hours of struggle I got gmail to work

Watch this...
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jV1Pa6inPwk MAIL SETUP

Settings/Registration: Preferences: Network Settings
Set port to: SMTP: 587

Settings/Registration: Function Settings: TX Settings > E-Mail/I-Fax Settings
E-Mail/I-Fax Settings

E-Mail/I-Fax Settings
SMTP Server: smtp.gmail.com
E-Mail Address: YOU@gmail.com
POP RX: Off
Authentication/Encryption Settings
POP Authentication Before Sending: Off
SMTP Authentication (SMTP AUTH): On
User Name: YOU@gmail.com
Password: READ BELOW

!!!! Important, create an app specific password in Google Security settings to get by the 2-Factor authentication issue with Google Logins !!!!  how to: https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/185833?hl=en
Use TLS for SMTP: On
Verify Certificate: Off
Use TLS for POP: Off

delozied
Contributor
Oh... and reboot the printer after these changes before testing. Turn on the transmission report to print your success or failure after testing with a scan to email.
Announcements