cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Frozen MF4880dw with " ***DOWNLOAD MODE*** waiting " message

Philacan
Contributor

I have a fairly new and lightly used MF4880dw printer which has ceased responding to all attemps at the few suggested solutions I've found on this and a couple of other sites...

ex: Multiple variations on "Power off, unplug, wait, plug in, turn on while holding Stop button"

That worked one time, so I printed the document my daughter urgently needed, and it then went back into the same error condition and has never responded to any other attempts. I can't find any hard info on Factory Reset procedures either, which I find strange too.

Am I alone with this problem? Can anyone help? Is it now a boat anchor?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

James_C

Hi Philacan  

Let's perform the following steps to resolve the issue:

1. Turn the machine off for at least 10 seconds, then power the machine back on.

2. If the error does not clear please download and install the firmware update for your unit from Canons website at www.usa.canon.com. Many times this will fix the issue.

You can download the drivers by following these steps.

Let's perform the following steps to download and install the update:

1.  Visit Canon's website at: http://usa.canon.com/support

2.  Type MF4880dw 0n in the "Enter a Model Name" box and click search.

3.  On the Support page for your unit, click the 'Drivers& Downloads' link in the middle of the page.

4.  Select "Operating System"

5.  Under the "Firmware" tab section click on the file named [Windows] imageCLASS MF4890dw/MF4880dw/MF4770n Firmware Update Tool (V15.04). After reading the details and disclaimer, click 'I Agree to terms.  Download and save the file to your computer.  Once the download is complete, double-click the file from its download location to begin the installation.

If you continue to have difficulties, please contact our support group using the following link:

http://Canon.us/ContactLI

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

James_C

Hi Philacan

1. Turn the machine off for at least 10 seconds, then power the machine back on.

2. If the error does not clear please download and install the firmware update for your unit from Canons website at www.usa.canon.com. Many times this will fix the issue.

2.  Type MF4880dw in the "Enter a Model Name" box and click search.

3.  On the Support page for your unit, click the 'Drivers& Downloads' link in the middle of the page.

5.  Under the "Firmware" tab section click on the file named [Windows] imageCLASS MF4890dw/MF4880dw/MF4770n Firmware Update Tool (V15.04). After reading the details and disclaimer, click 'I Agree to terms.  Download and save the file to your computer.  Once the download is complete, double-click the file from its download location to begin the installation.

How to Download and Install
The firmware and instruction files have been compressed.
The following instructions show you how to download the compressed files and decompress them.

1. To download files, click [I Agree-Begin Download] icon, then input printer serial number, select [Save], and specify the directory where you want to save the file. Click [Save] to start the file download.

2. Downloaded files are saved in the specified folder in a self-extracting format (.exe format).

3. Double-click the files to decompress them. A new folder will be created in the same folder.

4. Open the decompressed PDF file. Follow this PDF instruction to start the firmware update.

If you continue to have difficulties, please contact our support group using the following link:

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Thank you for your suggestion James, but...

As I mentioned, no matter how I try to power it up the machine starts in the mode described with ONLY the following message on the display:

***DOWNLOAD MODE***

Waiting

I had downloaded and tried the suggested firmware update a while ago, but can't connect to the printer via a lan cable to install the firmware since it's stuck in that mode and I can't read the IP address last assigned by DHCP. I will have to try via a long USB cable but, when I have more time than tonight, I will also register at the support group link you provided to try to obtain the factory reset procedure I requested here in the first place ...if one exists. Do you know of one?

I will update this thread as soon as I have further news, but thanks anyways in the mean time.

Phil

James_C

Hi Philacan  

Let's perform the following steps to download and install the update:

2.  Type MF4880dw 0n in the "Enter a Model Name" box and click search.

OK, I finally just moved the printer close to the PC and used a USB cable to do the Firmware update, a fairly simple procedure all in all. Hope it lasts a while.

Thanks for the info James C.

I am wondering if this means that I can reset my printer to manufacturing defaults, 

I have locked up my printer with System ID and Password which was originally 7654321 but I changed it and I forgot it (typical) 

now I changed my wifi subscription into different provider but I can not update the network details to connect the printer to the whole office, 

any solutions?? 

Not quite the same problem but I would just try it... connect via USB cable and see if it allows you to reset to factory defaults without ID & PW. If not, maybe then try the re-install software or full firmware update routes, but I would think they may also be PW protected if the the Factory reset was.

Good luck!

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements