cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

D1370 "Scan type not set to Remote Scan..." Why this error when connected via USB

monza
Contributor

D1370 MF printer w/ usb connection on win7 x64 machine.

I understand that when networked, I must go to the printer and manually press <SCAN>, then <REMOTE SCANNER> then <OK> before I scan using the MF Toolbox software on my PC and then must go back to the printer after scan is complete and manually cancel this setting before I can print or use other functions. Which is total pain BTW...

However, I also own a MF6530 and can scan directly from MF Toolbox without manually changing setting on the printer when connected via usb.

So, I would like to connect one of my PCs via usb for scanning to eliminate the requirement to manually configure the printer for <REMOTE SCANNER> mode. But, when I do this I still get the "Scan type is not set to [Remote Scanner] on the device" error even though I am connected via usb.

1. Am I doing something wrong when I try to scan via usb connection that causes the "Remote Scanner" error?

2. Does this have something to do with D1370 being a network printer. My MF6530 is not a network printer.

3. Is there a manual for the MF Toolbox software? The manual on the install disc is for "Send to Email" and "Store to Shared Folder". The manuals included in the box do not address MF Toolbox. There must be a detailed user manual provide by Canon for this program?

4. What is error Code 162,0,0?

5. Where is a complete list of error codes for MF Toolbox.

6. Help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi monza.

I know this issue is frustrating and I'll be glad to assist you. 

The newer imageCLASS machines are designed so that you will need to select a scanning option at the machine.  There is no way to set a default scan option on this machine.  You will need to select [Remote Scanner] or [Computer].  This is to ensure that your device handles the scan project properly.  Due to this, the ability to program a specific mode is not available. 

Although an extra step to perform, a benefit of selecting the desired mode for a respective scan can ensure that a scanner miscommunication does not occur if it were programmed to a different mode.

The 162,0,0, error indicates the the Toolbox is not detecting the scanner in "Remote Scanner" mode.  Scanning is not supported with a connection over the USB hub, as hubs can cause communication issues when trying to transmit data back to the computer.  We recommend a direct connect between the printer and the computer.  Once you have connected the printer directly, perform the following steps and verify if you receive the same 162,0,0 error:

1. Verify that MF Toolbox is closed on the computer and press the [SCAN] button on the printer.
  2. Highlight [Remote Scanner] and press [OK].  The screen will show, "Remote Scanner. Waiting online...".
  3. On the computer, open the MF Toolbox and select [PDF].
  4. Click the green [START] button on the [PDF] window.  The machine will start processing the scan.

Next, I recommend downloading and installing the e-Manual for the machine onto your computer.  It gives very detailed instructions on each of the functions on the machine.  The e-Manual should be included on the User Manual CD-ROM that came with the machine.  If you are unable to access it from here, please click the link below to download the e-Manual:

imageCLASS D1370 - Brochures & Manuals

I hope this information is helpful to you.  However, should you need further assistance, please contact us at 1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666).

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Crista
Whiz

Hi monza!

To have a better understanding of your issue, please let everyone know what operating system (Windows XP/Vista/7/8 or OS 10.X) you are using. That way, community will be able to assist you with suggestions appropriate for your product.

If this is an urgent support need, please CLICK HERE to reach our friendly Technical Support Team by phone or email.

Thanks!

Read the first line of my post! OS is win7.

Also, I'm posting here so I don't have to spend hours on hold on the phone.

Hi monza.

I know this issue is frustrating and I'll be glad to assist you. 

The newer imageCLASS machines are designed so that you will need to select a scanning option at the machine.  There is no way to set a default scan option on this machine.  You will need to select [Remote Scanner] or [Computer].  This is to ensure that your device handles the scan project properly.  Due to this, the ability to program a specific mode is not available. 

Although an extra step to perform, a benefit of selecting the desired mode for a respective scan can ensure that a scanner miscommunication does not occur if it were programmed to a different mode.

The 162,0,0, error indicates the the Toolbox is not detecting the scanner in "Remote Scanner" mode.  Scanning is not supported with a connection over the USB hub, as hubs can cause communication issues when trying to transmit data back to the computer.  We recommend a direct connect between the printer and the computer.  Once you have connected the printer directly, perform the following steps and verify if you receive the same 162,0,0 error:

1. Verify that MF Toolbox is closed on the computer and press the [SCAN] button on the printer.
  2. Highlight [Remote Scanner] and press [OK].  The screen will show, "Remote Scanner. Waiting online...".
  3. On the computer, open the MF Toolbox and select [PDF].
  4. Click the green [START] button on the [PDF] window.  The machine will start processing the scan.

Next, I recommend downloading and installing the e-Manual for the machine onto your computer.  It gives very detailed instructions on each of the functions on the machine.  The e-Manual should be included on the User Manual CD-ROM that came with the machine.  If you are unable to access it from here, please click the link below to download the e-Manual:

imageCLASS D1370 - Brochures & Manuals

I hope this information is helpful to you.  However, should you need further assistance, please contact us at 1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666).

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Well, this is very helpful, but also very very frustrating!

My MF6530 will scan via usb from the computer without manipulating settings on the printer and always handled the scan properly. Why can't the D1370 do the same?

This design is not intuitive, user friendly or well identified in the product specifications or manuals; and seems like a step backwards from a circa 2006 MF6530.

This problem is showing as resovled but it really is not. This is absolutely bogus. After researching on this issue, I've found the same response in another canon forums thread. Basically, what Canonis telling us is that they cannot correct a simple issue in their firmware so we should go and buy Brother which are much more routine user friendly for the same price. This issue needs to get escalated to a higher instance at your company!

Our company just bought an MF6100 Series and it is going back to the store right now... just because of this pathetic, stoneage-like functionality. The engineer that built the firmware is missing something. I came here thinking that there was a workaround, surprisingly there isn't and Canon is really that nonsenical.

Old type of printers works well, no need obscured movings - go to printer, click button, go to computer, run program, click start,go to printer,change document,go to computer, press next.....so, what will be next?

Why things are becoming increasingly complex, and not vice versa?

Tom

What is this?

Some kind of sick joke of Canon?

Is this a SOLUTION???

Announcements