cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon MF4890dw Scanning issue

megatrone
Apprentice

Need help with the MF4890 dw printer that I just bought. I'm running into issues where the scanner does not scan hand written text to the density needed when scanning mode is set to black and white. For example I was trying to scan a contract with handwritten signatures and date in black and white mode (to pdf). Everything that was typed scanned perfect but the part with handwritten information scanned very very lightly and can be barely seen. Seems like the highes resolution I can scan it to is at 300dpi. I had scannined using the Canon MF toolbox 4.9 software which came with the printer.

Anyone have solutions to this? Thanks.

Ken

10 REPLIES 10

frankfun
Apprentice
Try this...change from back and white to grey scale

steelcofence
Apprentice

turning to greyscale made the hand written text grey, but not black like my old scanner. Need additional help.

I too have the same problem scanning in B/W. Greyscale is not acceptable. I have a Pixima 330 which scans great in 300 dpi B/W. Why does a printer that costs 3 times as much scan at 300 dpi so poorly?I have the latest firmware installed and am running Adobe Pro 8 set to 300 dpi. Any ideas?

Pete

I actually posted a follow up reply but for some reason it isn't posted here. Cannon could not provide resolve. Returned the printer.

Too bad, I like the printer and fax. The scanner is fast but the quality is less than a hand scanner. How can it be 400 dpi when the output is so bad for a $200 multi function printer? My $69 MX330 blows it away at 300dpi B/W scan yet the 4890 is rated at 400 dpi scan and cannot produce a clear scan in B/W mode. Any comment from Cannon?

Hi Peterv1036.

So that I can better assist you, may I have you post a scan from the MF4890dw? 

I look forward to your reply.  Should you need immediate assistance, please contact us at 1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666).

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

I too am having this same issue with another model. The MF733CDW does the exact same thing. Signed documents get scanned and the signature comes out looking like it was signed with invisible ink!

I have had many different scanner and MF printer brands over the years and this is the first time I've ever seen this.

It's really sad because in many other ways the printer is exceptional.

This is a serious issue and takes the unit from 5 stars to 1  or 2 stars.

Thought there would be a firmware update by now. My Old Pixma330 blows away the scanning of my 4890.  Signatures are crisp and clear.

Pete

Hi, Peterv1036,

As requested by Patrice above, can you provide an example of the poor scan quality for handwritten items?

Additionally, please let me know what color of ink is being used for the signatures.  As an older business-oriented multfunction, the MF4890dw was designed with standard black inks in mind, and may have trouble with color or specialty inks when scanning to black-and-white or grayscale.

I look forward to your response with the requested information.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements