cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can not scan from mx4890dw buttons, only from the computer

BillyBob58
Contributor

Hello,

I got this Canon AIO a few days ago. I followed the start up guide instructions, got it signed on to the wireless net work easily enough, and installed the software from the CD onto a Win 7 64 bit Dell laptop.

Printing worked perfectly from the get go. Also, "Copy" seems to be working fine. Fax appears to be working, although I can't confirm yet that a fax has gone through ( no one is at work ) and I may have some questions later about how to send and receive fax when sharing a phone jack with a Comcast modem/cable set up. And how to get it to accept faxs while ignoring voice calls.

As for Scan, after I figured out that I had to push the scan button and choose "remote scanner" ( I push the scan button/Remote scanner/ buttons, get the message "waiting" and then operate from the computer) the scan function worked perfectly, in single and duplex, when controlled FROM the computer and Canon MFC toolbox software. But for the life of me I can not get it to scan from the Canon mx4890dw buttons. I push Scan, then "computer", then I select my computer ( there is only one computer), then either color or BW scan. All seems OK until here. But after I select color or BW,  I get a screen that says :"Scanning" with the choice to either cancel or "confirm destination". I select Confirm destination, which then takes me to a screen which says: Confirm destination" showing both the name of my computer and "color scan". That is it, as far as I can go. If I press "OK" it just takes me back to a choice of confirm or cancel. I am trapped in a cycle between these last 2 screens. Once I get to the next to last screen that says "Scanning: cancel or confirm destination", the processing data light starts flashing green. After a minute or so it will stop flashing with the message "an error has occurred/CLOSE". Oh, BTW, I have registered the scanner on the Canon MF Network Scan Utility.

So, I figure there is some button I am failing to push, or I am missing a step. Any one have any ideas on how to get this to scan from the Canon machine?

Thanks

Bill

17 REPLIES 17

Hi Cuddly_10.

I understand that you are experiencing scanning issues.  May I have you perform these steps and verify the exact error message that you receive:

1. Verify that MF Toolbox is closed on the computer and press the [SCAN] button on the printer.
  2. Highlight [Remote Scanner] and press [OK].  The screen will show, "Remote Scanner. Waiting online...".
  3. On the computer, open the MF Toolbox and select [PDF].
  4. Click the green [START] button on the [PDF] window.  The machine will start processing the scan.

If you receive an error, please contact us at 1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666).  A live technical support representative will be able to assist you.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Hello, i tried that procedure but it doesnt scan. It doesnt say that the scanner cannot be detected tho. It just wont scan.

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the mf toolbox several times but still the same results.

I have read that WIA drivers cannot be with the scan gear or TWAIN in one computer is that true? Do i need to uninstall the WIA driver?

How about if i do a hard reset ? Restore factory settings? Can you help me out? This is an expensive printer but its stressing me out just for the scanner when printing works fine. Help please

For sure someone needs to get you fixed up. Have you tried the support phone # again, from the responder just before your last post? Again, your scanner will work on your XP machine, is that right? But with the Win 7 machine, it will not scan even from USB connection? Will it print?

How long have you had it? Can you return it?  Have you tried connecting it with any firewalls disabled? ( I'd disconnect from the internet before doing that though just to be safe)

Will the printer show up in Win 7 "devices and printers"? If so, is there a yellow triangle indicating you should click "trouble shoot"?

Hi cuddly_10.

I suggest uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers in "Selective Startup Mode".   To place you computer in a Selective Startup, please follow these steps:

1.  Click on Start menu in the bottom left corner of the Windows screen.

2.  Type 'Run' in the Search programs and files window, then select the Run program from the top of the window.

3.  In the Run window type: Msconfig

4.  Hit enter on the keyboard.

5.  In the System Properties screen, choose 'Selective Start Up'.

6.  Uncheck the box labeled 'Load Start Up Items'.

7.  Click Apply.

8.  Under the Services Tab, click on 'Hide all Microsoft Services' at the bottom of the window just above the OK button.

9.  Click 'Disable All'.

10.  Click Apply.

11.  Click Close.

12.  Restart the computer.

Next, to uninstall the drivers for your MFMF4890dw, please follow these steps: (If certain items are not listed or found, move on to the next step.)

1.  Unplug the USB cable from your MF4890.

2.  Click [START] on the Windows task bar, select [(All) Programs], [Canon], [MF Toolbox 4.9], then [Toolbox Uninstall].  The [Toolbox Uninstaller] dialog box appears.

3.  Click 'Remove'.

4.  Click 'Exit'.

5.  Click [START] on the Windows task bar, select [(All) Programs].

6.  Select 'Canon', 'MF4800 series', then select 'Uninstall'.  The MF Drivers Uninstaller window opens.

a.  Select 'Delete'.

b.  Click 'Yes' to confirm the uninstallation.

c.  Click 'Exit' (or Restart).

7.  Restart your computer.

Once your computer restarts, please follow these steps to download and install the drivers from Canon's web site:

1.  Visit our web site at: http://www.usa.canon.com

2.  After clicking SUPPORT & DRIVERS in the top right corner, select your model in the following manner: 
     a.  From the first menu, CONSUMER & HOME OFFICE.

b.  From the second menu, select PRINTERS & MULTIFUNCTION.

c.  From the third menu, select your series, IMAGECLASS series.

d.  From the fourth menu, click DRIVERS & SOFTWARE under imageCLASS MF4890dw.

3.  Select DRIVERS AND SOFTWARE.  The system will automatically detect your operating system.

4.  Click on 'DRIVERS', then click on [Windows 64bit] imageCLASS MF4890dw MFDriver file to download the driver.

5.  Click on I Agree - Begin Download on the next page.

6.  When the Save As box comes up, choose Desktop and click Save. 

7.  Once the download is complete, click on 'I Decline- Go Back' and you will return to the previous page.

8.  Click on 'SOFTWARE', then click on [Windows 32bit & 64bit] Tool Box Ver.4.9.1.... file to download the MF Toolbox.

9.  Click on I Agree - Begin Download on the next page.

10.  When the Save As box comes up, choose Desktop and click Save. 

11.  Once the download is complete, close all windows.

12.  Double click the [ToolBox_4911mf15_Win_EN.exe] file on the Desktop.  Follow the prompts to install the MF Toolbox.

13.  Double click the [MF4890_MFDrivers_W64_us_EN.exe] file on the Desktop.  Files will extract.  A new folder will be created on the desktop. The new folder has the same name as the decompressed file.  Double-click the decompressed Setup.exe file to start installation.

14.  Once that window goes away, connect the USB cable from the MF4890dw to the computer.  Installation will complete.

15.  Restart your computer.

After the computer restarts, try scanning with the MF Toolbox.

After you successfully scan a document, please follow these steps to return your computer to Normal Startup:

1.  Click on Start menu in the bottom left corner of the Windows screen.

2.  Type 'Run' in the Search programs and files window, then select the Run program from the top of the window.

3.  In the Run window type: Msconfig

4.  Hit enter on the keyboard.

5.  In the System Properties screen, choose 'Normal Start Up'.  The Services tab automatically returns to the previous settings.

6.  Click Apply.

7.  Click Close.

8.  Restart the computer.

If you are still unable to scan, please contact us at 1-800-OK- CANON (1-800-652-2666). Have a great day.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Hi Patrice,

Wow that is very detailed. I will try this one and let you know if it works. Thanks

I have the same problem on a Canon MF724CDw.  I want to scan to my computer.  I press scan, select the destination, (I have two, one connected with a USB, the other via wifi), I slect the one conected with the USB, select Black and White scan, Press start, I am then asked to Confirm Dstination, when I press on that I get the user name "office" (which is the correct computer) and Black and White Scan.  The yellow/green light on the left hand side of the light bar underneath the WiFi sign at the front of the printer starts to flash.  

This Confirm Destination is an additional step that was never previously requested.  Any ideas?

I also have the same problem on a MF724Cdw!

Everything works fine on the unit except the scan function when operating from the machine control screen. I get the same 'Confirm Destination' loop - i.e I select the computer, press go, green light flashes and machine shows Scanning.. message together with Confirm Destination or Cancel and scanning does not start - selecting Confirm Destination loops back to the computer selection, selecting the computer loops to Confirm Destination and so on - then after a short while I get 'An error occurred' message.

It makes no difference whether MF Scan Utility is open or closed on the computer, no difference whether Norton is on or disabled and I believe I have all the correct drivers for Windows 10.

After a lot of digging around, I solved my problem very simply.

I discovered a relatively new driver at the very end of the list on page 2 of the driver section of the Canon support page for the MF724Cdw called '[Windows 32-bit & 64-bit] Patch for Network Scan, USB Scan'.

Following download and installation of this patch the scan function worked fine, both when controlled from the machine display and from the computer via the MF Scan Utility.

It appears that it will be necessary to apply this patch following all upgrades of Windows to a newer version; in my case, this was the upgrade to 1703 which I have only recently applied.

Announcements