cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can not scan from mx4890dw buttons, only from the computer

BillyBob58
Contributor

Hello,

I got this Canon AIO a few days ago. I followed the start up guide instructions, got it signed on to the wireless net work easily enough, and installed the software from the CD onto a Win 7 64 bit Dell laptop.

Printing worked perfectly from the get go. Also, "Copy" seems to be working fine. Fax appears to be working, although I can't confirm yet that a fax has gone through ( no one is at work ) and I may have some questions later about how to send and receive fax when sharing a phone jack with a Comcast modem/cable set up. And how to get it to accept faxs while ignoring voice calls.

As for Scan, after I figured out that I had to push the scan button and choose "remote scanner" ( I push the scan button/Remote scanner/ buttons, get the message "waiting" and then operate from the computer) the scan function worked perfectly, in single and duplex, when controlled FROM the computer and Canon MFC toolbox software. But for the life of me I can not get it to scan from the Canon mx4890dw buttons. I push Scan, then "computer", then I select my computer ( there is only one computer), then either color or BW scan. All seems OK until here. But after I select color or BW,  I get a screen that says :"Scanning" with the choice to either cancel or "confirm destination". I select Confirm destination, which then takes me to a screen which says: Confirm destination" showing both the name of my computer and "color scan". That is it, as far as I can go. If I press "OK" it just takes me back to a choice of confirm or cancel. I am trapped in a cycle between these last 2 screens. Once I get to the next to last screen that says "Scanning: cancel or confirm destination", the processing data light starts flashing green. After a minute or so it will stop flashing with the message "an error has occurred/CLOSE". Oh, BTW, I have registered the scanner on the Canon MF Network Scan Utility.

So, I figure there is some button I am failing to push, or I am missing a step. Any one have any ideas on how to get this to scan from the Canon machine?

Thanks

Bill

17 REPLIES 17

Deborah
Enthusiast

Hi Bill,

You've taken the right steps so far, however there is a step that may have been inadvertently overlooked.  Another step that is required after confirming the destination and pressing "OK" is to select the action to "Store and Finish" the scan.  You can do so by using the [ ^ ] or [ V ] to highlight <Store and Finish>, and then press [OK].

After saving the document, the display returns to the basic scanning screen and the folder where the images have been saved to opens automatically.

Otherwise, the issue you are experiencing can be due to the MF Toolbox being open on your computer when gong through the process.  Note, you cannot scan when the setting screen of the MF Toolbox is displayed.  If this is the case, click the "X" to close the setting screen before starting a scan.

If that doesn't work or you need further assistance, feel free to contact us here.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Thank you Deborah, but after many hours of trial and error, time spent with Norton 360 AV/Firewall folks, many install/uninstalls ( especially after I saw on the E-manual that if you plug a cable from the printer into the computer, and you want to go back to wireless, you must uninstall/reinstall the software), the problem is finally apparently completely solved.

I found what I thought might be the problem by accident. When I last got off the phone with Canon, all they had to suggest was that it was either a Norton or firewall issue, or possibly a computer issue, and nothing they could really do or suggest about that. I accepted this, but while wondering what in the world I was going to do, it dawned on me that my previous Kodak all in one( that this machine replaced) had worked fine, with no scanner problems at all, with this computer, Norton and network. So it seemed like it had to be something other than those things. And I believe a Canon inkjet all in one before the Kodak had also worked with no issues scan wise.

Then I decided to try something else on a whim: I cranked up my old Acer Win XP and installed the software, and guess what happened? Perfect function in all ways from the printer/scanner. Scanned perfectly from the Canon using the panel buttons on the printer. And over the wireless network on an old computer using the same Norton Firewall as my Dell. So it now seemed impossible that it could be the network or firewall. It had to be the only variable, the computer or someway the canon was in conflict with the Win 7 Dell. I bet you can see where this is going! So I go to the online support for Canon and sure enough there are Windows 7 drivers for download as well as a firmware update. So I down load these and clock on them, but as far asd I can tell, nothing happens. It appears they did not complete installation.

So the next day I am back on the phone with Canon. Asking in desperation if they can think of anything before I return this machine back to Staples and get something else, which I really hated to do, but I can't take any more of this, as now it had stopped printing also( but all still hunky dory on the Acer!). But this time, the person I am talking to quickly asks if I am trying to install wireless, and says "hold on while I get you to the wireless guys". The wireless expert listens to my problems and quickly says "did you download the Win 7X64 driver?". I said I had tried but it didn't seem to do much. So he has me download it again and shows me the trick: when you click on the download, it creates a folder somewhere else where the driver is actually stored. I click on that driver, and 10 minutes later all is working perfectly. In fact, before I even hang up with the wireless guy, I press the buttons on the Canon and scan quickly to the computer.

So for now all seems perfect, just as it was immediately once I tried it on the Windows XP machine. So I suggest that this be the first thing suggested when folks are having trouble installing on a Win 7 computer. In fact, I have since noticed there is a sheet of paper that came with the canon that advises downloading drivers for Mac computers. Too bad it didn't mention this for for Win 7 also, since apparently at least some of the installation CDs don't include these drivers.

Now I am wondering if I should try and do the firmware update? Kind of afraid to fix what ain't broke.

Bill

Hi Bill,

I am sorry to hear of the process experienced to reach a resolve on the installation.  Yes, the "Driver/Software Details" link with the "+" includes information on the folder that is created for the installation process.  This can understandably be overlooked and seen as a heading for the disclaimer information that follows.  It is actually provided for the majority of the drivers available for download.  However, Mac drivers are only available for download, therefore the reason for the insert sheet.  If provided, the inclusion of an insert sheet for Windows driver updates will depend on when your unit is purchased and when a new or updated driver is available.  But thank you for the suggestion.  Although it was not your plan, good detective work and troubleshooting.

No, the firmware update would not be needed in this case and does not apply.  However, should you experience a rare case where your device is no longer able to connect using Wi-Fi, the firmware update will help. 

So, you are all set at this point.  Thank you for your patience, and happy scanning and printing!

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

i cannot seem to find where the Software details is located after downloading the driver for windows 7x64 for mf4890dw printer. My scanner does not work however, printing works fine. I am trying to do what Bill suggested but i do not find the folder that is created. 

what can be the problem? please help ASAP thanks

Hi cuddly_10!

Thanks for posting, and welcome to the Canon Forums! 

The Forums aren't intended for immediate assistance, so if you do require an answer quicker, we'd suggest calling during business hours, or emailing us 24/7.

To contact us, just CLICK HERE to reach our friendly Technical Support Team by phone or email!

Thanks and have a great day!

I have spoken with a canon tech support but all they said was firewall or norton antivirus conflict..but i do not have those installed and it is a brand new pc running on windows 7 X64 bit. It was running fine on windows xp but we have upgraded our computer. Printer works fine after installing driver from CD that came with the printer but it wont scan. Computer cannot see the scanner.

Hi Cuddly,

I had forgot about this old thread! I was told the same thing about Norton or firewall, but I don't think that was the case, as I detailed in the 1st couple of notes from me at the beginning of this thread. It was not those things, because I had the same Norton Firewall running on both computers, and it worked fine on the XP computer but not on the newer W7, even after I told Norton to accept everything from this printer and even when I turned Norton off. As you will see in post #3 in this thread, I finally solved the problem by installing the newer Win7 drivers. But unfortunately, that only lasted a little while, and it went back to where it would not scan from the Canon scan buttons to the computer, but only from the computer software, aka "remote scanner". It would do all of these things fine from the XP computer, even running Norton, but not on the Win7 with or without Norton.

This has been the best printer/scanner I ever had as far as the machine goes, but I have has nothing but trouble from the software. I would give up on using the scan buttons unless I was directly connected to the computer via a USB cord, but I could print/scan from the computer software just fine. But invariably after a few weeks, the printer(and scanner) will also stop working wirelessly, usually because the computer will show ( in control panel/devices/printers) that the printer is turned off, even though it is obviously turned on. Sometimes rebooting the computer or printer would solve this, but often not, or it would take many tries. So I would uninstall all of the software, reinstall, and then all functions except the scan buttons would work again, for maybe 3 weeks. I noticed that there was frequently a message on the printer screen that the IP address had been changed, and I suspect this has something to do with the problems. I have not had time or energy to call customer support and find out why this is constantly being changed, but I keep meaning to.

In the meantime, I have just quit using wireless and plug in from the printer to computer via USB. It almost always works, all print and scan functions and scan buttons from the machine if I just go through USB, though occasionally I have to reboot the computer or scanner or both, and then it will work. So, I figure if I am scanning or even printing I am going to have to go in where the printer/scan machine is anyway to place the paper to be scanned or get what I have printed, so I might as well just plug in with the USB cord. This just makes life easier, and I love the scanner/printer so much I have been willing to put up with this. Someday I will call Canon about the IP address constantly changing, maybe they can tell me why, and maybe I will try wireless again.

Also, I have a very old wireless router that I sometimes suspect might be part of the problem, though it is no problem with my XP computer. So someday I will try replacing the router, who knows if that is the problem.

Did you ever find your driver updates download? If not, can you do a search for the file name? You may have to get the file name from the Canon download sight. But it should be wherever your files are downloaded to, like C:/Users/your name/downloads. Or maybe it was downloaded to your desktop. Also, after the download,  when you first click on the downloaded file, it will "unpack" the drivers somewhere, maybe your desktop or download area, but you need to pay attention to where it is going to unpack these files to so you can find it. As a last resort, just download the files again from the Canon sight, and pay close attention 1st to where you are downloading them to and next to where the zipped files are being unpacked to.

Good luck!

Bill

Hi bill,

Thanks for responding. Thing is, my pc is connected to the printer via usb cable. I have had canon tech support guide me trough the uninstall-reinstall process but the scanner still wont work. My downloaded win 7 x64 driver downloads at the download folder and extracts it there. I would just click on set up then quick install. Do you know which driver file name should i click on? Thanks

I think this is the one I clicked:

C:\Users\myname\Downloads\MF4800_Series_MFDrivers_W64_us_EN_2\DRIVERS\us_eng\x64\Setup (type:application)

I think that is the one that updated my drivers for Win 7.

But, if I am connected from USB, I don't even need the updates, it will work off of whatever was on the CD. I don't know what is going on if yours won't work from the USB, or wireless, right? But yours will work on Win XP?

Have you tried installing the printer/scaner though the Windows add device in control panel? Is this a new unit? Can you return it?

Bill

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements