cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are others experiencing Windows 8.1 scanner incompatibility with Imageclass D420 drivers?

bross1976
Apprentice

Ever since I upgraded from Windows 8.0 to 8.1, the scanner function will not work on my Canon Imageclass D420 printer. I have installed the latest "8.1 compatible" drivers for the D420 and the MF Toolbox software, but I am still getting error messages in Windows stating that the drivers aren't working.  I also tried making the Toolbox software work in compatibility mode for Windows 8, but that doesn't work either.  Any suggestions?

Thanks

19 REPLIES 19

Hi,

I have tried given in this forum as well as a few additional things that Canon support sent to me over email. However, nothing has worked so far. Here is what I have done so far

1. Followed the instructions in the forum for installing drivers which includes multiple restarts for Windows 8.1 computer

2. Set the MF Toolbox to run as Administrator

3. Set RPC Locator service in Windows to start automatically

4. Change the USB port which was used for the printer

5. Tried the Scan option in Devices and Printers but it does not bring up any dialog.

6. Talk to Canon technical support 

The scanner works intermittently - typically after a re-install/restart (sometimes not even then). I am unable to use the scanner which for me is more important than printing itself (BTW the printer prints fine!).

According to the technical support person the problem is NOT with the printer but with my laptop (which is barely 6 months old). He even suggested that I re-install Windows in order to fix the problem.

I think the drivers rely on a outdated technology - RPC Locator service is a deprecated service is only kept in Windows for supporting legacy applications. I since so many people are experiencing this problem on Windows 8.1, Canon should provide a better solution/provide drivers which work with latest technology.

Any other ideas are welcome.

stingray
Apprentice

We replaced our old Dell all-in-one printer that's no longer supported by Windows 8 or 8.1 with a Canon MF4700.

When we installed the drivers and the MF toolbox everything installed fine, but the MF toolbox would not start from the desktop. Same error as from the screenshot in one of the earlier posts in this thread.

Couldn't find a solution on any forums so we reluctantly called tech support. And we got a very helpful person on the line.

He suggested looking in the windows\twain32 folder for older scanner drivers that could be interfering with the Canon software.

Sure enough there was a Dell folder there from our install attempt of the incompatible printer, which the Canon has replaced.

After we moved that old folder out of the twain32 directory the MF toolbox worked normally.

Perhaps something to check.

Wow, it works!

Thanks stingray so much!

I check C:\Windows\twain_32  and see some folder and file not relating to my Canon D480, some with HP name in it too.

I temporarily move those out of twain_32 and try to start MF Toolbox, it start ok but can't scan with error.

stuff

So I also remove the D460 folder from twain_32.

Remove printer from Devices and Printers, replug usb cable, it reinstall driver automatically. New D460 folder show up.

now

Then toolbox & scan works ok now!

So happy!

Scan

Thanks for your reply.  I'll have to check that out.  I looked at my twain folder and have two listed which is odd.  

Attached is a screen shot.  

So should I delete both of those?  And reinstall the entire driver.  If something is wrong with this, how did it happen in the first place?   

So basically I don't know if there should be two folders or if something is wrong what steps do I need to take to correct this.    

Sorry for the late reply, thanks for your help.    

screenshot twain folder.jpg

I would suggest delete everything in that twain32 folder. Except .ds file probably wouldn't let you delete it then it's ok.

Then Remove MF4800 printer from Devices and Printers, replug usb cable, Windows should reinstall driver automatically. Expecting new MF4800 folder show up.

Then try toolbox and scan again.

Good luck!

Just registered on this forum to say thanks so much for the help, even though it was from over 2 years ago!  An old driver folder in the twain32 folder was causing the MF Toolbox buttons to not work.  They would just flash when clicked but they were not working - nothing else would happen...

rickyaz
Contributor
I'm now using my Canon on a Windows 7 computer and of course it works great. I don't know whose fault it is but I'm leaning torwards Canon on this. Canon has made no effort to update the drivers when clearly many people are experiencing the same problem. Go to Amazon reviews and most reviews mention the scanning problems. Can you imagine how hopeless all this will be or people who upgrade to Windows 10? Good luck with anything working. The only way I'll buy another Canon machine is if I see the Windows version stamped on the box.

Yes - that's right. The printer I am trying to scan with is an old one. The tech support person from Canon informed me that even if buy a new Canon printer - I will still have the same problem! As it is a problem with *my* laptop and not Canon's problem!

Take it back and buy a Brother printer. Much easier driver install and scan support from within the windows tool or the Brother tool. Canon makes great cameras.

rickyaz
Contributor
I really like my Canon but to have a working scanning feature. Brother machines are well rated so I probably check them out next time.
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements