cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are others experiencing Windows 8.1 scanner incompatibility with Imageclass D420 drivers?

bross1976
Apprentice

Ever since I upgraded from Windows 8.0 to 8.1, the scanner function will not work on my Canon Imageclass D420 printer. I have installed the latest "8.1 compatible" drivers for the D420 and the MF Toolbox software, but I am still getting error messages in Windows stating that the drivers aren't working.  I also tried making the Toolbox software work in compatibility mode for Windows 8, but that doesn't work either.  Any suggestions?

Thanks

19 REPLIES 19

Patrice
Whiz

Hi bross1976!

I know this issue is frustrating and I will be glad to assist you.

I recommend uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers in 'Selective Startup Mode'.  Please follow the instructions below:

1.  Press the Windows key and 'x'.

2.  Select 'Run'.

3.  In the Run window type: Msconfig.

4.  Select OK.  If the UAC window opens, type in your password and select OK.

5.  In the System Properties screen, choose 'Selective Start Up'.

6.  Uncheck the box labeled 'Load Start Up Items'.

7.  Click Apply.

8.  Under the Services Tab, click on 'Hide all Microsoft Services' at the bottom of the window just above the OK button.

9.  Click 'Disable All'.

10.  Click Apply.

11.  Click Close.

12.  Restart the computer.

Next, to uninstall the drivers for your D420, please follow these steps: (If certain items are not listed or found, move on to the next step.)

1.  Unplug the USB cable from the printer.

***Please leave the USB cable disconnected until you have uninstalled and completely reinstalled the drivers.  Connecting the printer before going through the "Setup Wizard" may cause the Windows operating system to install a generic driver for the printer.***

2.  Press the Windows key and 'x'.

3.  Select 'Control Panel'.

4.  Select Devices and Printers.  The Devices and Printers window opens.

5.  In the Devices and Printers window, right click on the D400/420 Series and select 'Remove' to delete the printer.  Delete all of the icons for the D420.

6.  Close the Devices and Printers window then press the Windows key and 'x'.

7.  Select 'Control Panel'.

8.  Select 'Programs and Features'.

9.  Double click on driver to uninstall.  Follow the on screen prompts.  Repeat to uninstall the MF Tool box.

10.  Restart you computer.

11. Leaving the USB cable disconnected, please download the driver from the Canon website using the following link:  http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer

12. The site will automatically detect your operating system. 

13.  Next, select [Drivers] and the file [Windows 64bit] imageCLASS D420 MFDrivers (UFR II / ScanGear).

14.  Click "I Agree - Begin Download".

15.  Save the file to your computer.  Once the download is complete, click "Run".

16.  Click "I Decline - Go Back" on the Canon site and select [Software] and the file [Windows 32bit & 64bit] Tool Box Ver.4.9.1.1.mf16.

17.  Save the file to your computer.  Once the download is complete, click "Run".

18.  Close the Canon window and go to the location on the computer where the files are saved.

19.  You will see two icons with the name D420_MFDrivers_W64_us_EN_2.exe.  Double click on the yellow folder icon.  In the folder you will see two files with the name "Setup".  Double click on the "Setup" that has the type [Application].

20.  The "MF Drivers Setup Wizard" will open.  Please proceed through the setup and restart the computer.

21.  After the computer restarts, please connect the USB cable to the computer and allow the computer to finish the installation process.  Once the printer is listed in [Devices and Printers], right-click on the icon and select it as the default printer.  Please open a document on the computer and print it out.

Please follow steps 19 and 20 to install the Canon MF Toolbox 4.9 software.  Once the software is installed, please follow the steps below to complete a scan:

1.  Press the [SCAN] button on the control panel of the printer and place a document in the feeder.

2.  On the computer, open the MF Toolbox program.

3.  Select the [PDF] scan function.

4.  Click the green [Start] button in the PDF window.  The scan should begin.

After you successfully scan a document, please follow these steps to return your computer to Normal Startup:

1.  Press the Windows key and 'x'.

2.  Select 'Run'.

3.  In the Run window type: Msconfig

4.  Select OK.  If the UAC window opens, type in your password and select OK.

5.  In the System Properties screen, choose 'Normal Start Up'.  The Services tab automatically returns to the previous settings.

6.  Click Apply.

7.  Click Close.

8.  Restart the computer.

I hope this information is helpful to you.  If the error persists, please contact us at 1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666).  Have a good day!

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Hi Patrice,

I have a Imageclass D480, Windows 8.1, MF Toolbox crash everytime I open it.

I followed your instruction exactly every step from "Selective Start Up" to "Uninstall Driver & MF Toolbox" then download & install new one along with restart PC each step as instructed.

Up to the step where I need to open MF Toolbox it crashes.

Not Responding

MF Toolbox

Scanning is still possible here

Scan

Scan Preview

But I really need the full feature scanning of MF Toolbox. It used to work fine in Windows 8.

Hoping for a fix!

Regards,

Have to tried right clicking on the toolbox and selecting "run as adminstrator"?   Before I would have this error code pop up but after doing that it works fine but scanning doesn't work when starting from the mf4880dw    

I have tried "run as adminstrator" too, but still geting same non responding error.

Hi nguyen2014.

Since the error persists, even with installing the drivers in 'Selective Startup Mode', and running the program as an administrator, I recommend that you contact our live telephone technical support for further assistance. 

Please contact us at 1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666).  While I understand that the forum may be your preferred method of communication, these steps must be performed with a telephone support representative assisting you.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Hi rickyaz.

Is the MF Toolbox open on the computer when you attempt to scan directly from the MF4880dw?

I look forward to your reply.  Should you need immediate assistance, please contact us at 1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666).

Thanks for your reply.  The Toolbox is not open.   When I use the "scan to pc" button, no scanning starts and it comes up with an error on the machine.   

When I use the regular "scan" button, it displays a message saying that it can't find the toolbox software and I probably need to reinstall it.  

I've installed the correct windows 8.1 version and have reinstalled in a couple times and no luck.  

But when I run the program as "adminstrator" it works fine.   

Thanks for the suggestions, I have tried all that was listed.   The uninstalled all other printers, and made sure the twain file was cleaned out again, then reinstalled with the selective start up.   It prints, just won't scan.   Toolbar clocks then says nothing is connected.   Any more suggestions or do I need to get on the phone too?

This procedure was followed and used successfully for an imageCLASS D480 multi-function scanner/printer, too.  I'm running the latest version of MS Windows 8.1  So far the Toolbox software allowed me to perform 2 scans - one as a PDF and one as a JPG.

Announcements