cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

which prime should i get?

paulbrogden10
Enthusiast

Hello I need some guidance I all ready own the Sigma 150-600 C and canon 70-200 II coming soon. I also just got the canon 2xIII extender.

I am looking at the sigma 500mm f4.5 ex hsm lens none dg version. been offered it for £850 but it has no image stabilisation. wish I could afford the canon 500mm but its out of my budget.

I have been looking at the canon 300mm 2.8 non is lens at around £1400. wondering how it does with a 2x extender on it.

I wonder how 300 2.8 with 2x vs 500 performs.?

I also have looked at the sigma 120-300 2.8 os sports lens and am wondering how a teleconverter does on this lens.

I have always wanted a prime 500 but they are so expensive .

Any way has any one got an opinion on this and is image stabilisation the end and be all? thanks for your help?

Which do you think is the best to get?

I photograph any thing from birds to mice.

10 REPLIES 10

ScottyP
Authority

How serious are you with this question, and does your budget actually include the 500?

I ask because you cite basically no specialty in uses (everything from birds to mice?) and the lenses you name are quite expensive if the use is really that eclectic and casual.  Of course if you have the disposable capital and you like photography then very good. I can say my friend has a 300mm f/2.8 and it takes incredibly sharp contrasty photos. 

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Why have so many lenses that cover the same focal lengths?

diverhank
Authority

I'm not sure whether the Sigma 500mm will offer much extra performance versus your already very good 150-600mm C...The real improvement is from a Canon 500mm f/4 imho.  A used 500mm f/4 version 1 is "almost" affordable.  In my case, I use a Canon 600mm f/4 to supplement my Tamron 150-600mm and my Canon 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L II IS USM.  For years I used a Canon 400mm f/5.6L (Non-IS) with great results.

Regarding whether you need IS...it is debatable...if you're handholding in poor light I suppose it will help you, provided you're taking pictures of non-moving birds.  IS helps for your own shaking but it won't help freeze motion from birds in flight.  You need high shutter speeds to stop motion blur from moving objects anyways so IS is of very little help.  I take almost 100% birds in flight and most of the time my shutter speed is set at 1/2000 and my IS is always off.  Turning IS on slows focus and drains battery without any benefit for my case. 

I don't have a 300mm f/2.8L so no personal knowledge but a friend had a 300mm with a 2X and went on and bought a 600mm f/4...that kinds of telling me something I guess...I do have a 2X version II and I dislike using for anything that is moving...focusing speed suffers too much...useable but not too fun.

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

The non-DG designation means that it lacks coatings to prevent ghosting caused by reflections off the image sensor. However, if used with a Sigma 1.4x DG teleconverter that might not be an issue. I'd research if that combination will AF with your camera, if so it might be worth trying. Also, some older Sigma lenses don't work properly with modern dSLRs. The camera locks up or shuts down when trying to stop down the lens. So that is also an issue. If you can test the lens in person that's not an issue, but, if you are buying online or by mail it is a risk.

"The non-DG designation means that it lacks coatings to prevent ghosting caused by reflections off the image sensor"

Or it means this ...

• DG – lenses compatible with full-frame sensor DSLR cameras.
  • DC – lenses designed for for APS-C DLSR cameras.

The lack of either is likely an older model before Sigma adopted this more recent nomenclature.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I am agreeing with the other guys.  Your thinking is flawed.  I don't like extenders so I rarely use one.  They offer as many problems as they benefit.   I would buy the Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8 DG OS HSM Lens for Canon.  My thinking, if you put the 2x on that Siggy you end up with a 600mm f5.6.  But you already have a 600mm f6.3 !  What's the point or advantage?  A tiny f-stop improvement?

Now about the Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8 DG OS HSM Lens, it is nothing short of fantastic and it is f2,8.  What's not to like?  I love mine and recommend it highly.

Anyways, keep the 2x and sell the Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary Lens.  At least you gain the benefit of the faster f2.8 up to 300mil.  Before you go this route make sure the Canon 2x works with the Siggy.  It just might not.    Beware, it is a big heavy lens.

EB

TTMartin
Authority
Authority
The D in both of those indicates Digital. Which means the lens has additional coatings on the optics since Digital sensors are more reflectI've than film and film lenses used with Digital cameras can have ghosting issues due to that increased reflectivity.

But, thanks for you Google Guru post.

Saving face?  Smiley Happy

EB

No just a better memory than you.

From the Sigma Website in 2008 thanks to webarchive.org.

sigma dg.JPG

Announcements