cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

there's some thing inside the lens? Possible oil or fungus?

AutumnApple
Enthusiast

Hi guys. My friend is offering me a Canon 200mm f2.8 L ii for $350. 

when I shine flashlight from the lens mount side, I could see something look like a thin film/fog on one of the internal element near the lens mount side.

it's not on outer glass, but inside. 

I don't think it's moisture since i've not taken it outside.  I wonder if it's fungus. 

Other than that, it is in very good condition. IS it worth it? Or should i save little more and buy one from Canon refurbished? 

IMG_2196.JPG

5 REPLIES 5

Tell him you'll give him $500 for it if he sends it to Canon for a professional cleaning and it comes back with a clean bill of health.

BTW, I assume you mean a 70-200mm f/2.8L. I never heard of a 200mm f/2.8L prime.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

Tell him you'll give him $500 for it if he sends it to Canon for a professional cleaning and it comes back with a clean bill of health.

BTW, I assume you mean a 70-200mm f/2.8L. I never heard of a 200mm f/2.8L prime.

Thanks, Robert. It is the prime lens. I guess it is quiet old or just not popular. I do like it. Focus is fast and light weight. It was on Canon Refurbished site for $599 but everytime i checked, it's out of stock. 

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

That is an older Canon L series lens and it is build like a tank! It is black, not Canon white. The body of this lens is metal and some plastic. It has the old style built in “slide out” lens hood.  The lens suffers from a little CA, but nothing that can not be corrected in LR.

A mint copy should be in the $400 to $500 range. But what you are seeing is likely multi-coating.  Sometimes it isn't applied evenly or has faded away a bit.

I would guess Canon will not service it but you might call.  If it is fungus, pass it by.  It's not worth $350.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

BTW, from the photo you shared, I would pass on it.  That looks like fungus to me.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

BTW, from the photo you shared, I would pass on it.  That looks like fungus to me.

Thanks, ebiggs1. That's what i was afraid of. Advice appreciated. I just told him i'd pass. I guess I will continue saving for better lens. 

Announcements