Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

problem with 600mm f4 IS 2

Colonel4446
Contributor

Hi all,

I am new to the forum.

I have run into a strange problem with my 600mm mark 2. My high speed burst using 2 differant Canon 7d mk 2's has dropped in burst rate by about 50%. It is roughly now about 5 frames per second on both cameras where normal rate is 10 fps. I am a wildlife photographer and use high speed burst all the time. The only lens I have that this happens with is the 600. All the other lenses the burst rate is right up to snuff.

I cleaned the contacts, checked all the settings on the lens and the cameras. This did not help. This problem surfaced all of a sudden. Last week everything was fine. All other functions of the lens seem to be fine. I also put my 5d3 on it and the burst mode seems ok.

Thanks in advance everyone,

Colonel4446 

20 REPLIES 20

"... you install the other camera..."

Agree, it has to be something goin gon with the lens. Call Canon and ask for a tech that has actually used the 600mil.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Colonel, did you check the "AI Servo 1st" and "AI Servo 2nd" settings on your camera? I mentioned that a few replies back.

It's on the 2nd AF tab in your camera's menu (see page 117 of your manual -- the full manual, not the abbreviated manual).

The setting controls how the camera prioritizes focus vs. burst speed when doing burst shooting.

AI Servo 1st can be set to priority either acquiring a better focus OR being more responsive to shoot when you press the shutter -- but only for the first frame of the series.

AI Servo 2nd controls whether the camera should rapid-burst as fast as it can -OR- if should try to take time to refine focus better between the frames for all successive frames after the first frame in a burst series.

If set to put more emphasis on the focus, it WILL reduce the burst speed and how much of a speed reduction almost certainly depends on the lens and how fast it can reacquire focus. A hand-held 600mm lens is harder to focus because even a tiny movement/vibration on your part will shake the image more than it would for a shorter focal length lens and this makes it harder for the camera to auto-focus (which is why I keep telling action photographers to leave that image stabilization switch turned on ... regardless of how fast the shutter speed is. It's not about the shake when the shutter is open... it's about the shake that's happening when the camera is trying to acquire focus before the shot is taken.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Whenever you have a problem crop up like this it is imperative to set the gear back to default settings.  This also applies to the lens. Set and forget will always bite you in the --- !

EB

Hi,

First, I try to respond to your informational requests as fast as I can. I am a busy person.

The cameras have been set up since the beginning, AI servo, 1st image priority right in the middle, equal priority. There has been 20-30k photos shot through these cameras with no problems with burst speed until now. Remember this has happened with 2 identically set up 7d MK 2's. It only occurs with the 600 and happened suddenly last week. 

Canon tech. does not have a clue and said to send them, 600 plus one of the cameras, into service. What I expected. 

I have not defaulted the cameras back to factory settings. I have tried burst settings on all different lens settings with the 600 lens itself. No help. I can understand going back to default settings if I only had one camera but this happened with 2 cameras at  the same time. 

My question, based on the above, do you think I should default both cameras back to factory settings anyway? Why would 2 identically set up cameras have a problem the same day, with only one type of lens?

I really appreciate the feedback and you all takeing the time to help me. I was hoping to find someone out there in cyberland that has had the same problem.

Thanks much again and I will be glad to supply any information that you need.

Colonel4446

Do not reset the camera if you intend to send it back to Canon.  Wait on resetting, until Canon looks at the combo.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Colonel,

"... do you think I should default both cameras back to factory settings anyway?"

Yes and set the lens to its basic default setting, too.  You have no base line until you do this.  I had my doubts whether Canon could help.  That is why I wanted you to be sure you got a tech that actually used the 600mil.  You are in limited company with people that own or use that lens.  It is an unbelievable lens, isn't it?

I agree it sounds like it must be the lens but this will tell.

EB

@Colonel4446 wrote:

I have not defaulted the cameras back to factory settings. I have tried burst settings on all different lens settings with the 600 lens itself. No help. I can understand going back to default settings if I only had one camera but this happened with 2 cameras at  the same time. 

My question, based on the above, do you think I should default both cameras back to factory settings anyway? Why would 2 identically set up cameras have a problem the same day, with only one type of lens?

I really appreciate the feedback and you all takeing the time to help me. I was hoping to find someone out there in cyberland that has had the same problem.

Thanks much again and I will be glad to supply any information that you need.

Colonel4446

Out of curiosity, did you read my post? If yes, did you try what I stated? the distortion filter is lens specific.  When you run into problems, the first thing you need to do is to eliminate all the possibilities, one by one until you've exhausted everything.   I have trouble understanding your reluctance to try just because you're so sure you didn't accidentally set something to both of your cameras...I've done this with all 3 cameras on mine before without knowing before...Assumption is the worst enemy imho.  A friend of mine at work was so sure his gun was unloaded that after a shooting session in the desert, put the gun in his mouth and pulled the trigger to scare his girl friend - with tragic and deadly result.

In your case you are so sure it's the lens problem that you will take the trouble and expense sending it in.  What will you do when Canon send your lens back stating nothing is wrong with it?  That would be my prediction. I'm convinced it's some settings you've got in your cameras that is causing the slow down.  Well I'm convinced until you've exhausted all possibilities that it's not your cameras' settings.

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

I have tried to answer all questions. I missed answering yours. I did check distortion correction and both cameras are disabled.

And since you think you know, the last thing I want to do is send this lens via, ups, fed ex, postal to Virginia. That is the reason I joined this forum and another to see if anyone could help me before that last resort.

Canon did not have any answers for me and told me to send it to them for service. I told them that I was going to use the lens with single shot or silent mode burst which still works fine for a time before considering sending to them. My reasoning here is that I may discover through experimentation and time, using the 600, more issues or the main problem may be discovered.

One of the questions Canon asked was have I got any error messages. No, until today. I got a communication error between the camera and the lens. 

The very first thing I did when I discovered this problem three days ago was clean the contacts on the lens and cameras with alcohol and a clean rag. Canon recommends a clean rag only. I did that today with no luck. The contacts under high magnification look ok, There is line wear from the contacts in the cameras which does not look bad at all but may be the problem.

Question. I read somewhere that some folks have ordered a new lens mount and installed it themselves. As you probably know it looks like it is attached by small screws and does not look like a big job. Have any of you all done this?

At least now I know what is causing this.

Thanks again for your help,

Colonel4446

"Canon recommends a clean rag only. I did that today with no luck."

This almost never to never works. It may help a person that very rarely removes his lens.

Diverhank and I are correct. You need to go back to basics. Literally we are only talking pushing some buttons.  Make everything the way it was when you bought it.  Omit nothing. 

EB

Everything you have suggested has been tried. That includes clearing the cameras back to factory settings. Last evening I started getting an error code, "Err 01 Communication between the camera and lens is faulty. Clean the lens contacts." I appreciate the help fellas. What do you think?

Colonel4446 

Announcements