cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

photography on a budget...

mrc1703
Contributor

I was told by a co-worker who is very knowledgeable on Canon cameras that i should get a 24-105mm lens because it will give me a whole range of shooting options is that true? Pllus, they are almost 1000 dollars that's expensive for a beginner...Are used lenses a good idea and where can you buy a good used lens? Any help will be appreciated..

31 REPLIES 31

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@John_SD wrote:

@mrc1703 wrote:

I think you've got it right. The way I like to put it is that better equipment will make any photographer better, but how much better depends on how good you already are. The better you already are, the more difference better equipment makes. In general, if you need better equipment, you won't have to be told; you'll already understand what you need and why.

The only exception to that rule is the few photographers who are better than they realize. For example, I have to prod my wife to accept upgraded cameras and lenses. But she justifies the prodding by taking, in many cases, better pictures than I do.

I posted this earlier, but it bears repeating.  The only way to fully understand aperture is to get hands on experience, and actually use a wide aperture lens, even if it is the EF 50mm f/1.8 STM, which really isn't a bad lens, at all.

"If money is burning a hole in your pocket, maybe you should invest in a good camera bag, or a professional grade tripod and head.  Investing in a quality bag with extra room for future lens purchases will protect your camera gear.  Investing in a professional grade tripod can not only improve the quality of your shots.  It will give you opportunity to explore different types of exposure settings that are difficult to impossible to achieve when hand holding the camera.  Besides, shooting video from a tripod almost always looks better than handheld video, especially when you do not have a camera stabilzation rig.

Many will disagree with this opinion, but buy one of Canon's very inexpensive, WIDE APERTURE, prime lenses [which I listed earlier, in no particular order] will teach you more about photography than spending a similar amount of money on a photography class, if not far more money.  Having access to a wide aperture lens as a learning tool is invaluable."

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
There was a different thread by the same OP where he asked about video.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic
Announcements