cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

error message on canon 1d III on sigma 500mm F4.5

paulbrogden10
Enthusiast

Hello guys I have been getting the following error on a second hand sigma 500mm F4.5 I recently got from adorama on ebay and the seller seems to think its the lens which is faulty. I check the contacts they seem clean but the contacts on the lens look different to the 150-600 C and 17-50 2.8 I have. Could some one who owns the sigma 500mm dg hsm  F4.5 post a picture of what your contacts look like so I can compare please. I would like to know if its the lens or the camera.

I am not convinced as I do want to keep the lens. The error I get is this err 01 communications between the camera and lens is faulty clean the lens contacts.

adorama say they have spoken to sigma and they seem to think its the lens which needs repaired what do you think?

The camera is the 1d III its a 10 frame per second body I have never seen this error before on the sigma 150-600 c or 70-200 mk1 lens. Does any one have any ideas ? I tried out the lens on a canon 7d and 600d and dont get the error.

What is happening is after say 20 fast shots the camera some times shows this error up not always it seems to show up randomly 

any thoughts guys I remember some one saying their was issues with the canon 1d mk3 ?

29 REPLIES 29

"Any one know what a interupter is?"

Not really but apparently you need one!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

You should ask Sigma what the part is. It sounds like a fancy name for a relay circuit assembly to me. You should be more worried about the disclaimer at the end. The one that reads, "REPAIR IS SUBJECT TO AVAILABILITY OF PARTS". I surprised the bill is as low as it is, to be perfectly honest with you.
--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

WAG, but it could be something like this:

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/9299

And the "reset" means it is used to tell the steppers/position system where "home" is. If it is not working right the home position could move back and forth a bit.

hello sigma said this

Morning Paul,

Thanks for your email.

The interrupter is a part in the lens that connect to the circuit and controls the iris.  Unfortunately it requires a full strip down of the lens which takes a lot of labour time.  Because of this we are unable to reduce the estimate.

We can include replacing the contact block in the charge.

Kind Regards

Chris Bibby

so this lens would have cost the following.

£800  low offer i made on ebay suprized it got accepted

£127 ups delivery

£272 import and vat duty

£229 sigma repair bill

total £1428

total $1791

@paulbrogden10 wrote:

so this lens would have cost the following.

£800  low offer i made on ebay suprized it got accepted

£127 ups delivery

£272 import and vat duty

£229 sigma repair bill

total £1428

total $1791

I still say that your repair bill is surprisingly low.  You've come this far, so don't turn back now.  Let Sigma fix it, including the contacts, which they seem willing to toss in for free.  What are you thinking about?  You're getting a $5000 lens.  Most used lenses of that type sell for at least three times what you initially paid.  This is an easy decision to make, IMHO.

"£800  low offer i made on ebay suprized it got accepted"

Looks like you have two !  A broken one and a working one ?

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

dont think the lens is worth $5000

@paulbrogden10 wrote:

dont think the lens is worth $5000

???  Where did you get that idea from?  I don't think so, either.  Didn't say it was.  I said similar lenses are asking for 2-3 times what you paid.  In fact, bad contacts and malfunctions aside, I don't think your lens is worth what you bid for it.  

Hello all I got the lens back from sigma paid the repair bill the lens seems to work on the 1dmkIII with no issues. Orginally sigma came back to me and said after looking at it they could just repair the contact block for around £61 but I asked for the lens to be cleaned as this made sense to get it serviced. so the cost was £229 under their tarriff 9 of £229.99. By the way its interesting to know this lens weighs the same as the sigma 150-600 sport lens. 

Announcements