cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

error message on canon 1d III on sigma 500mm F4.5

paulbrogden10
Enthusiast

Hello guys I have been getting the following error on a second hand sigma 500mm F4.5 I recently got from adorama on ebay and the seller seems to think its the lens which is faulty. I check the contacts they seem clean but the contacts on the lens look different to the 150-600 C and 17-50 2.8 I have. Could some one who owns the sigma 500mm dg hsm  F4.5 post a picture of what your contacts look like so I can compare please. I would like to know if its the lens or the camera.

I am not convinced as I do want to keep the lens. The error I get is this err 01 communications between the camera and lens is faulty clean the lens contacts.

adorama say they have spoken to sigma and they seem to think its the lens which needs repaired what do you think?

The camera is the 1d III its a 10 frame per second body I have never seen this error before on the sigma 150-600 c or 70-200 mk1 lens. Does any one have any ideas ? I tried out the lens on a canon 7d and 600d and dont get the error.

What is happening is after say 20 fast shots the camera some times shows this error up not always it seems to show up randomly 

any thoughts guys I remember some one saying their was issues with the canon 1d mk3 ?

29 REPLIES 29

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3277170

See the above thread.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Paul,

There were two Sigma 500mm f4.5 lenses, which are nothing short of fantastic.  Especially the new one.   Which one do you have?  The very older one or the current one?  I agree it needs to go to Sigma but only if it is the newer one.  If it is the older one cut your loses, its not worth the repair costs.

The fact it works on the 7D and not on the 1D Mk III really tells you nothing.  And like I have said many times, cleaning the contacts rarely if ever works.  There is gold plating on the contacts and it looks like it is pretty chewed up on yours.  This does not mean they won't work.  But they may not be totally reliable.

If you have the newer version it doesn't need a firmware update since it works with the 7D.  Why not just use it on the 7D and be done with it?  Or, return it?

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

hi this lens is the dg version the later one.

Paul send it to Sigma.  This is a great lens.  You need to get it sorted.

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Paul send it to Sigma.  This is a great lens.  You need to get it sorted.

If the lens works with a 7D and another body, but not his 1D3, it makes me wonder what the contacts look like on the 1D3.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

heres pics of the contacts on the cameraIMG_1060.jpgIMG_1060.jpg

above pics taken from canon 1d mk3

I would still send the lens to Sigma.  But good lord man clean you cameras!  Your photos would really enforce the need for Sigma to do a C&C on the lens.  BTW, you need to send the cameras to Canon for a C&C too.

EB

sent it to sigma will let you know what happens

here is the repair bill let me know what you think.

Dear Sir / Madam, Further to our acknowledgement confirming receipt of the item returned for repair, we wish to inform you that an estimate has now been formulated. Before proceeding with the repair we would ask you to sign this form in the place provided and return it to the above address. This will enable us to carry out the repair in the shortest possible time. We would point out that unless a proceed of this estimate is received within six weeks or the estimate is not accepted then the equipment will be returned to you unrepaired for a charge of £14.99 inclusive of VAT or the item will be used for spare parts to cover our costs incurred. PLEASE QUOTE OUR REFERENCE NUMBER ON ALL CORRESPONDENCE. Estimate to repair : AF 500mm F4.5 APO EX DG HSM (Canon) Serial Number :

REPLACE INTERUPTER RESET, CHECK & TEST REPAIR IS SUBJECT TO AVAILABILITY OF PARTS.

Repair Tariff Net VAT Total 9 Tariff Number 9 191.66 38.33 229.99

Any one know what a interupter is?

Announcements