Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ef-s 18-135 stm wobbles normal?

gtangas
Contributor

Hello friends

first big hello to everyone! 

need some info... i bought a second hand lens 18-135 stm that shows some wooble on the barrel.

extended to the 135mm the barrel woobles a bit and full rectracted at 18mm and i shake the lens i can hear the barrel woobles inside!

can anyone tell me if that is normal on this model?? 

Best regards

11 REPLIES 11

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@gtangas wrote:

Hello friends

first big hello to everyone! 

need some info... i bought a second hand lens 18-135 stm that shows some wooble on the barrel.

extended to the 135mm the barrel woobles a bit and full rectracted at 18mm and i shake the lens i can hear the barrel woobles inside!

can anyone tell me if that is normal on this model?? 

Best regards

No it does not sound normal. I just checked mine and it has no wobble even when fully extended. 

hi

thanks for your repply

i saw some reviews and the non stm version ad some reports of this issue but i cant find none of the stm version!

Its not a big wobble but if you shake the camera (in my case a 70d) with the barrel extended or even retracted you can feel that barrel shaking...

i like the IQ but not very happy with this problem! 

@gtangas wrote:

hi

thanks for your repply

i saw some reviews and the non stm version ad some reports of this issue but i cant find none of the stm version!

Its not a big wobble but if you shake the camera (in my case a 70d) with the barrel extended or even retracted you can feel that barrel shaking...

i like the IQ but not very happy with this problem! 

Canon upped both build quality and image quality when they added the STM focus motor to their lenses. Mine is rock solid with no wobble. I would not consider any wobble as normal in an STM lens.

its better to return the lens and wait for another deal on the second hand market... one without this issue! 

i sold an old sigma 18-200 that never gave very nice results and no doubt that this new stm lenses are awesome!

i bought very recently the 10-18 and im very pleased with the results! 

Thanks for your help TTMartin! 

How much shaking are you doing?  Most image-stabilized lenses will make a bit of noise with a strong shake.  The in-lens image stabilization involves lens elements that have to move (physically) and if you shake it hard enough you can hear it knock.  

One probably shouldn't be making a habbit of shaking the lenses aggressively.  But if you hear it with just casual movement of the lens then I might give this a more careful inspection and testing.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Wobbles and noises are abnormal.  Can it still auto focus properly?  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

gtangas
Contributor
You can ear that rattle with a small shake of the.camera... its not a too loose sound but...

With the barrel full extended it wiggle a little bit

The focus work ok, stab works ok too

I was testing my canon 10-18 and there is a little play to (almost nothing) not as pronounced as the 18-135 but they have different weights and sizes

Maybe it's normal and I'm making problem of it but my older sigma didn't make this symptom

I will try visit a store and check a brand new just for comparison.....

gtangas
Contributor
So Just tried the non stm version and brand new... it rattles and wobbles...

tried too the 55-250 stm and rock solid... definitely the stm versions have another build quality....

gtangas
Contributor
Update info...
Went to fnac and tried brand new 18-135 stm and the new nano usm version.

The stm shows the same amount of rattle and wobble that the one I have.(mine shows a little more since it's used)

The nano usm is rock solid... different construction... different value too.

The guy from fnac show me 2 lens of the stm version and the two reveals the same behaviour.

So I have to concluded that the small wobble and rattle is ok and a not a problem... annoying at least but ok

Funny is that the 55-250 doesn't wobble... is an smaller barrel and the weights less... and maybe that's the reason for is solid construction
Announcements