cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

broken filter threads

JSingler
Apprentice

The filter mounting threads broke on the end of my 75-300mm III lens. All I need is a new plastic ring that screws onto the end of the lens. I am unable to use my lens cap or lens hood

6 REPLIES 6

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Send it in.  Smiley Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

A professional repair might cost more than the lens is worth.  That lens routinely sells for less than $100 on ebay. 75-300mm III SOLD on ebay

You might be able to buy the part for about $19 and replace it yourself. It looks like it just unscrews...

Front ring from 75-300mm II

It might also be a good excuse to upgrade. You could sell the 75-300  for what ever you can get, and then buy  a used 55-250 IS for about $150.  The 55-250 is optically better AND had image stabilization.

Is this what your lens looks like now?

_75.JPG

Mike Sowsun

I'd either super glue the hood in place or follow Mike's advice and upgrade.  It's not worth repairing.  I saw a refurbished 55-250 for just over $100 the other day.  Canon's website is down otherwise I'd link it.  Refurbished to original specs, with warranty, for a much better lens.  There's no

the same thing happened to me, do you think i couls sand off my broken thread and attach a 55 to 58mm step up ring?

Screen Shot 2018-05-05 at 10.09.23.png

Was readng your thread until I got to the "sanding" part.  Mike's part link above still shows as available.$20. eBay has these as well under $100.  I don't buy this type of equipment from eBay myself, but you are free to choose. 

I saw a fully working replacement (refurb) on Amazon (super cheap) and Canon still sells MkIII $159.  Or simply upgrade.  The 75-300 was a workhorse in its day, but has been surpassed in quality, function and IQ.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Johnsonanna02
Contributor

I have another 75-300 that no longer works. Can I switch it?

Announcements