Canon Community Canon Community

New Contributor

broken filter threads

The filter mounting threads broke on the end of my 75-300mm III lens. All I need is a new plastic ring that screws onto the end of the lens. I am unable to use my lens cap or lens hood

Honored Contributor

Re: broken filter threads

Send it in.  Smiley Happy

A lot of Canon stuff. Along with, a lot of other stuff.
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

A professional repair might cost more than the lens is worth.  That lens routinely sells for less than $100 on ebay. 75-300mm III SOLD on ebay

You might be able to buy the part for about $19 and replace it yourself. It looks like it just unscrews...

Front ring from 75-300mm II

It might also be a good excuse to upgrade. You could sell the 75-300  for what ever you can get, and then buy  a used 55-250 IS for about $150.  The 55-250 is optically better AND had image stabilization.

Is this what your lens looks like now?

_75.JPG

Mike Sowsun
S110, SL1, 5D Mk III
Respected Contributor

I'd either super glue the hood in place or follow Mike's advice and upgrade.  It's not worth repairing.  I saw a refurbished 55-250 for just over $100 the other day.  Canon's website is down otherwise I'd link it.  Refurbished to original specs, with warranty, for a much better lens.  There's no

Highlighted
New Contributor

I have another 75-300 that no longer works. Can I switch it?