cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which lens is best to shoot horseshoe bend?

limvo05
Rising Star

Hello experts,

I will be taking a long roadtrip soon. Heading to the great state of Utah, checking out all the great national parks.

I was wondering if anyone could comment/suggest which lens to use for all the great scenaries Utah has to offers? I have 24-70 MK2, and 70-200 MK2. Should I acquire a wide angle lens?

Also, feel free to suggest best places to take those memorable photos.

Thanks,
LV

16 REPLIES 16

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

What camera? FF or APS?

Canon 5DS.

Thanks,

LV

Thank you all for great suggestions and comments.

As much as I would like to get that extra wide angle lens, I don't think my wife is going to approve it, especially when I already bought these mentioned items in the past few months.

To compensate for the lack of the wide angle lens, I was thinking of using the 24-70 and take paranomic shots, and stitch them together. Not sure how it would look but at least I could get the entire thing.

Will post the photos once I am back from the trip.

Thanks again,

LV

When you need the lens once... “rent” it.

When you need the lens many times... “buy” it.

Just rent the lens you want for the days you need it.  Check LensRentals, BorrowLenses, and I think even B&H and possibly Adorama have a rental dept.  My local in-town camera store has a rental section (must be a real camera store... not a big box store that happens to sell cameras alongside the computers, TVs, and major appliances.)

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

"I have 24-70 MK2, and 70-200 MK2."  Add the ef 16-35mm f2.8L and you have it made in the shade with lemonade.  If the f2.8 version is too costly at this time by all means do as Bob suggests, get the f4.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

" I was thinking of using the 24-70 and take paranomic shots, and stitch them together."

It works and work well.  Just remember to turn your camera to portrait position.

Here is a seven shot pano of the stock yards in Dodge City, Kansas.

147.jpg

It was done with the ef 24-70mm f2.8L on a 1D Mk IV.

EB

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

" I have 24-70 MK2, and 70-200 MK2."

You are way ahead of the game with these two lenses.  I would add the Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L III USM Lens. It doesn't matter which camera format you have since you have the two listed lenses stated.  Not Utah but I just got back from a 10 day shoot in New York and those three lenses are what I used.

I have done shoots in Utah many times.  It is loaded with outstanding places.  Le'st see how many can I think of? 

Zion National Park, Salt Lake City, Bryce Canyon, San Rafael Swell, Arches, Canyonlands, Dead Horse Point.  There is more.  It is a great place for photographers.  Take hiking gear, you'll need it for the best shoots.

EB

Camera format does matter for the wide angle. A 10-18 would be pretty much required for APS.

@ebiggs1 wrote:

" I have 24-70 MK2, and 70-200 MK2."

You are way ahead of the game with these two lenses.  I would add the Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L III USM Lens. It doesn't matter which camera format you have since you have the two listed lenses stated.  Not Utah but I just got back from a 10 day shoot in New York and those three lenses are what I used.

I have done shoots in Utah many times.  It is loaded with outstanding places.  Le'st see how many can I think of? 

Zion National Park, Salt Lake City, Bryce Canyon, San Rafael Swell, Arches, Canyonlands, Dead Horse Point.  There is more.  It is a great place for photographers.  Take hiking gear, you'll need it for the best shoots.

Ernie is right about the lenses, though I might add that the less expensive 16-35mm f/4L is also a fine lens for outdoor use.

And add Cedar Breaks National Monument to Ernie's list. My wife and I toured Colorado, Utah, and the Grand Canyon area of Arizona on our honeymoon (many years ago), and Cedar Breaks was a highlight of the trip. I'm not sure we have any surviving photographs, but Martha did a painting of it when we got home that still hangs in our family room. Late afternoon is probably the best time to photograph it.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Announcements