Canon Community Canon Community

Occasional Contributor
Accepted Solution

Which hood lens should I get?

First of all, I don't know if this is the right place to post this message, if it isn't I'll be happy to post on a different forum. So I've been wanting to do awesome pictures, but lighting always seems to get in the way. I was told that a lens hood would help with it. I've been mainly using 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 and 50mm 1.8 STM, and 75-300mm f/4-5.6. I'm trying to do photograph sporting events (high school basketball), night time sky pictures, steel wool, capturing car lights for long exposure. So my question is which lens hood should I get? 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Which hood lens should I get?

Each lens has a recommended lens hood. The primary purpose of a lens hood is to shield the lens from extraneous off-axis light from causimh flare in the image.

Basketball photography might be affected by ceiling lights. I wouldn't think that the other photo types would be affected by that issue.

Can you post some images that you feel "lighting got in the way"?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X, Rebel T5i, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, MX472
Occasional Contributor

IMG_1387.JPGIMG_1349.JPG

Occasional Contributor

So these pictures are from the same game, but I didn't do any editing to them. 

Occasional Contributor

IMG_0541 (2).jpgAlso this one as well. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Here is what a lens hood can help prevent:

Capture.JPG

See the red :blob: at the bottom of the frame?

None of the three images you posted show anything, to me, that a lens hood would prevent/correct. I don't see any problems with the first two images.

The last iamage has a faint flare to the right of the swirl, and maybe a reflection to thge left of the swirl, but the main prblem is a framing issue. Change your shooting location so the light source in the upper right isn't in your frame.

But, I almost always use a lens hood because it acts as bump protection for the front of my lens.

The lens manual that came with your lens should tell you the appropriate hood- ET-62 or something like that depending on the lens. Third party lens hoods from Amazon or other sources are adequate and much less expensive; you don't need a Canon branded lens hood.

Cropping can help a lot:

original3.JPG

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X, Rebel T5i, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, MX472