cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which 24-70mm???

bud297
Apprentice

Hi I currently have a 80d but I wil be upgrading to a FF(5d mark iv) by the end of the year. I'm in the process of purchasing a new lens but I am having a hard time trying to decide between the Canon 24-70mm f4l or ther Tamron 24-70mm f2.8 G2. The canon 24-70mm f2.8 is out of my price range. Which 24-70mm would be best for the 80d right now but more importantly best for the FF camera(5d mark iv) I upgrade to? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

diverhank
Authority

@bud297wrote:

Hi I currently have a 80d but I wil be upgrading to a FF(5d mark iv) by the end of the year. I'm in the process of purchasing a new lens but I am having a hard time trying to decide between the Canon 24-70mm f4l or ther Tamron 24-70mm f2.8 G2. The canon 24-70mm f2.8 is out of my price range. Which 24-70mm would be best for the 80d right now but more importantly best for the FF camera(5d mark iv) I upgrade to? 

From my perspective, you should always consider "buy it once, buy it right".  To me, this means getting the Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L II IS USM - top of the line, best of the best.  If you can't afford new, you might want to consider the used market. But then if you can afford the 5D mark IV, you can also afford the 24-70 II...it's a matter of willingness, I think :).

Many people I know keep getting a lesser model then keep upgrading...in the process they end up spending a lot more money than to just get the "right" one right away.  Performance-wise, it may be perfectly alright for the other models discussed herein but there's also a human element...unless you're immune, it will keep gnawing at you that you didn't get the best...sooner or later you will have to upgrade... Imho, the 5D Mark IV deserves a Canon 24-70 f/2.8L II.

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16

@bud297wrote:
Yes I've been on eBay and bid on a few Canon 24-70mm f2.8L II USM lenses. So I'm buying it right!

If you are buying it from eBay, you are quite likely buying it wrong.  I do not advise purchasing big ticket items on eBay, most especially used items.  If I were spending that much money, I would want a factory warranty.  

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/contactus/where-to-buy/

If you are not buying a NEW lens from a Canon Factory Authorized Dealer, then you will not get a warranty.  Use the above link to to see if the seller is an authorized dealer. 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

"Yes I've been on eBay and bid on a few Canon 24-70mm f2.8L II USM lenses. So I'm buying it right!"

I don't know, are you?  Someone mentioned the Tamron and Sigma.  In terms of IQ as most people can't seem to get past that one spec, it goes Canon.........................Smiley Happy......................Tamron.......Sigma.  I have all three. I use all three.  It's just the way it is.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Buying camera gear from eBay makes me nervous and I would advise against it (even though I'm sure thousands of people have found good deals this way).  

it's really a question of risk.

If you buy from Canon (new or refurb) you know what you're getting and it comes with a warranty.

If you buy from a major used equipment resller (KEH, B&H Photo's used dept., Adorama's used dept. etc.) then you know that (a) a competent person has inspected the used goods and (b) a 'grade' has been assigned to the condition of the used goods and you can trust the grade is fair and accurate.   If they tell you it's in like new condition... it's in like-new condition.  If they tell you it should only be used for spare parts... you can be sure that it isn't a working lens and should only be used for salvaging spare parts.  They're honest -- even when it's ugly.

If you buy from a private seller on say... Craiglist... you can meet that person at a safe location (e.g. a coffee shop) and IF (and this is a big "if") YOU know what to look for, you can inspect the lens for damage, make sure there are no signs of major knocks such as dents or major scratches.  Look through it make sure it's clean through and through.  Make sure there aren't issues such as fungus or damage to coatings, etc.  And then you can connect it to your camera to make sure the zoom ring, focus ring, etc. all work smoothly with no binding... and that the aperture blades work, the image stabilization works, etc.  In other words you can check out it out for yourself BEFORE you buy so you know what you're getting (but this assumes YOU know what to look for).

If you buy from eBay... now you've got some limitations.  You have to trust that the seller is (a) honest and (b) qualified to KNOW if their equipment is trouble-free.   You could have a dishonest seller who knows it's a problem but is going to take advantage of the fact that you can't inspect the gear -or- (b) even if they are an honest seller, they may not even realize the equipment has a serious problem (such as internal fungus on the lens coatings.)  This is compounded by the fact that you don't really have any way of checking it out for yourself and have no idea of the qualifications of the seller's ability to fairly and accurately rate the condition of the gear.

I consider eBay to be one of the more-risky places to buy photo gear.

If you saved a few bucks because you found a good deal and won the auction on eBay... but the gear isn't in the condition you expected and now it needs serious work (or a hassle to try to get your money back)... did you really 'save'?

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

@bud297wrote:

If you are considering the Tamron 24-70 f2.8 at all...   Also look at the Sigma 24-70 f2.8.  All I'm going to say. I have it, I love it. 

But, everythng the guys said about this lens being a little "long" on your 80D is true.  Its a great walk around lens on a FF body.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

I would ask what kind of photos do you want to take with this lens? I normally use the 24-70 for landscape photography as supposed to portrait or sport. 24-70 does not have the reach like the 70-200 has, thus even at 2.8 aperture you are not going to get the background as blury like you would with the 70-200 because of the DOF.

I have the Canon 24-70 2.8 mark ii and I mostly use it for landscape. I use the 70-200 2.8 Mark 1 for portrait, landscape and may be sport photography. Personally, I think the 70-200 is a better investment. Again, it's really depends on what kind of photography you want to take, then get the lense you need. Cheers.

LV

bud297
Apprentice

I went and purchased the canon 24-70 f2.8 ii and I did purchase it off of ebay. I had no issues with the transaction or seller. It was a brand new one that the seller purchased but never used. Thanks for all the input though!

@bud297 wrote:

I went and purchased the canon 24-70 f2.8 ii and I did purchase it off of ebay. I had no issues with the transaction or seller. It was a brand new one that the seller purchased but never used. Thanks for all the input though!

Good luck.  I hope you have gotten your hands on a good one, because I don’t think that you will have a Canon warranty.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements