cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is optimal focus distance for 24-70 2.8 Mark ii when taking landscape?

limvo05
Rising Star

As mentioned in my other post, I recently switched from Nikon to Canon. Somehow I am struggling with this new system. Finally figured out made micro adjustment to the camera and lense combo.

Now, trying to figure out the optimal focus distance for this when taking landscape.

Also, wondering if I should switch to the 5d Mark iv instead of using 5Ds?

Thanks,

LV

5 REPLIES 5

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I make AFMA adjustments at 50x the focal length.  But, I have rarely found need to adjust a high end body and lens combo. It has happened only once.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Now, trying to figure out the optimal focus distance for this when taking landscape."

This is so vague and open ended I can't answer.  What are you trying to accomplish?  The ef 24-70mm f2.8L is great at any distance.

"...wondering if I should switch to the 5d Mark iv instead of using 5Ds?"

Again, what are you trying to accomplish?

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

diverhank
Authority

@limvo05wrote:

As mentioned in my other post, I recently switched from Nikon to Canon. Somehow I am struggling with this new system. Finally figured out made micro adjustment to the camera and lense combo.

Now, trying to figure out the optimal focus distance for this when taking landscape.

Also, wondering if I should switch to the 5d Mark iv instead of using 5Ds?

Thanks,

LV

I agree with ebiggs...you're being really vague... If I were you, I would not have switched systems without knowing ahead of time of what I'm getting myself into.  It's well documented on the internet on the strength and weakness of each camera...why complain now after you're stuck with it?

@What do you mean by optimal focus distance when taking landscape?  If you're talking about hyperfocal distance...This is typically independent of the brand of lenses with the exception of the circle of confusion number but this effect is so small you can ignore it.  Again, the internet is full of tools to figure this out, specific to any type and brand of lenses.  The hyperfocal distance for this lens is 7 meters @ 24mm and  60 meters @ 70mm.  Focus at this hyperfocal distance will give reasonable sharpness from 3.5 meters to infinity for 24mm and from 30 meters to infinity for 70mm.  These should have been good for your Nikon lenses too.  If you want real sharpness, use liveview, magnify 10 times and focus on the things you want sharpest...Brand of Camera and lenses has nothing to do with it.

Regarding switching from 5DS to 5DIV...what improvements are you looking for?  Again all pro and cons are listed on the internet.  

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

Thank you all for responding and sharing your advices.

Firstly, reason why I switched because my old NIkon D2x has been faithul, however, it is dated compaired to what on the market these days, I thought I would switch for newer , more modern technology. And yes I did my research on the 5DS before I purchased it. Unfortunately for me, at the time of the purchase, I don't think the 5D mark iv has been released or available, and I was about to go on a trip so no time to wait.

The reason I asked the question is because I am completely new to Canon, given my first experience with it was not so positive, had to do micro adjustment for the lense and camera body, as it was a bit front focused.

Long story short, the 5Ds has super resolution, that said, I don't think extreme res. is what I need, but more of useful ISO and dynamic range like the mark iv has. Having said all that, I can't wait to be on my next trip to Utah.

Thanks,

LV

"...reason why I switched because my old NIkon D2x has been faithul, however, it is dated compaired to what on the market these days, ..."

Still utterly confused!  Nikon makes a camera and cameras similar to anything Canon has.  The D2x and the 5Ds are so vastly different animals that the use of the word camera becomes ambiguous.

Perhaps your best course of action is to sell your 5Ds and buy the 5D Mk IV.  I think you would  be much happier.  Or, go back to brand-N and look at the D850.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements