cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What equipment to rent for a cruise to Alsaka, with a trip to Katmai National Park

grdwyer
Contributor

We are planning a cruisetour to Alaska in the summer of 2014. I was wondering what equipment would be best to rent for the trip. I am at best a total amature when it comes to photography. We will on on shio for seven days, then going to Danali National Park, and also to Katmai National Park. Any and all help with this is greatly appreciated. Thanks. George

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Bill-Emmett
Enthusiast

Alaska is a target rich State to shoot some really breathtaking shots.  But, you do have to be careful.  YOU will not be at the top of the food chain.  That place is firmly secured by the Polar Bear.  You don't want to get close to these guys.  If you go looking for bears, take as long a lens you can get.  The absolute minimum would be a 100-400mm zoom.  Alaska, is also home of some really big grizzly bears, these guys are no slouch either.  For the beautiful panaramas you may want to invest in a ultra wide angle lens, like the EF-S-10-22mm.  It does not have IS, but you can get some stunning wide angle shots from from the trusty tripod.  Also, the 10-22 gets rave reviews of image quality from some of the major reviewers, Ken Rockwell, give it a "L" quality review.  I wouldn't spend any extra money on a EF 70-200 f2.8L IS USM.  It is a large heavy lens.  But I would opt for the EF 70-200 f4L IS USM, it is much lighter, and has good IS, and will be easy to sling around on those eagles.  You fail to mention what lenses you now have, but a good mid range telephoto would be good to have for the trip.  Shots taken from the cruise ship should be hand held, because of the vibration of the ship will pass through to the tripod.  So, any lens you shoot with from the ship should have IS, if not you may have to up your ISO to 1000 or more, and shoot at a high shutter speed, to keep out blur of movement.  For that mid range telephoto you may want to look at either the EF 24-105 f4L IS USM, or the EF 24-70 f4L IS USM, both are Canon L quality lenses, and reasonably priced.  Those lenses I have suggested will fill all your needs for your trip, with the sharpest quality lenses for your camera.  I would suggest you purchase a refurbished 7D to upgrade your camera body.  The 7D is the best wildlife camera available now.  You can get one from Adorama, now on a refurbished special from Canon.  You can also buy the lenses refurbished from Adorama, and B&H, and even used from KEH and save a good amount of money.  

Enjoy your trip.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

pjmacd
Enthusiast
It would help to know what kind of camera(s) you already own and what you are wanting to photograph.

I have a rebel xtI, I am hoping for Eagles, Whales, and bears. And of course anything else interesting that may wander by. I really enjoy shooting wildlife. Thanks

I would recommend renting one of the 70-200mm zoom lenses. The f/2.8 version is especially nice, although the f/4 version is also very good and less expensive. With the APS-C size sensor in the xTi, you will get a 35mm-equivalent focal length of approximately 105 to 300mm, which should get you some nice close-ups of wildlife without getting too close to them.

I forgot to add - I have had several good rental experiences with lensrentals.com.

diverhank
Authority

I'd recommend renting a 100mm-400mm lens for the extra reach for wildlife and a wide angle lens like the 16-35 or 17-40 for scenery.

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

Bill-Emmett
Enthusiast

Alaska is a target rich State to shoot some really breathtaking shots.  But, you do have to be careful.  YOU will not be at the top of the food chain.  That place is firmly secured by the Polar Bear.  You don't want to get close to these guys.  If you go looking for bears, take as long a lens you can get.  The absolute minimum would be a 100-400mm zoom.  Alaska, is also home of some really big grizzly bears, these guys are no slouch either.  For the beautiful panaramas you may want to invest in a ultra wide angle lens, like the EF-S-10-22mm.  It does not have IS, but you can get some stunning wide angle shots from from the trusty tripod.  Also, the 10-22 gets rave reviews of image quality from some of the major reviewers, Ken Rockwell, give it a "L" quality review.  I wouldn't spend any extra money on a EF 70-200 f2.8L IS USM.  It is a large heavy lens.  But I would opt for the EF 70-200 f4L IS USM, it is much lighter, and has good IS, and will be easy to sling around on those eagles.  You fail to mention what lenses you now have, but a good mid range telephoto would be good to have for the trip.  Shots taken from the cruise ship should be hand held, because of the vibration of the ship will pass through to the tripod.  So, any lens you shoot with from the ship should have IS, if not you may have to up your ISO to 1000 or more, and shoot at a high shutter speed, to keep out blur of movement.  For that mid range telephoto you may want to look at either the EF 24-105 f4L IS USM, or the EF 24-70 f4L IS USM, both are Canon L quality lenses, and reasonably priced.  Those lenses I have suggested will fill all your needs for your trip, with the sharpest quality lenses for your camera.  I would suggest you purchase a refurbished 7D to upgrade your camera body.  The 7D is the best wildlife camera available now.  You can get one from Adorama, now on a refurbished special from Canon.  You can also buy the lenses refurbished from Adorama, and B&H, and even used from KEH and save a good amount of money.  

Enjoy your trip.

Announcements