cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What does the "S" mean in reference to lenses? EF-S vs EF lens?

kiowajim
Apprentice

I have both a digital camera, the 60D, and recently acquired an EOS 1N 35mm film camera.  I have bought lenses for my 60D but not the 1N film camera....was told that my 18-55mm lens for my 60D would not be interchangeable with the 1N?  So, EF-S vs EF lens, what is the S and what does it indicate?   What does the "S" mean in reference to lenses?  EF-S vs EF lens? 

Thanks.....I am just getting started in photography and do not know all the different terms....

James

2 REPLIES 2

cicopo
Elite

In the simlpest of terms think of the S as standing for SMALL sensor. The sensor in crop bodies is much smaller in physical size than the area your film camera needs covering with when the shutter opens. An EF S lens won't allow light to cover the full area in the film or FF body. This allows smaller & cheaper lenses but at the expense of limiting their use. 

see

https://forums.usa.canon.com/t5/Lenses/Using-a-lens-designed-for-crop-bodies-on-full-frame-SAMPLES/t...

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

diverhank
Authority

In practical terms...the EF-S lens won't fit the full frame cameras (1D, 5D, 6D series).  For your 60D, either EF-S or EF lenses will work with it.  Regarding your EOS 1N, it uses EF mount ...you can't mount the EF-S lenses on it.

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr
Announcements