cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wanting more zoom...

inkjunkie
Enthusiast
I have an EF 70-200 f/2.8L lens that will be on a 5D Mark IV body. I realize the I can use this lens with either of the Extenders, the version II if I remember correctly. Have read that this will choke back the Aperture some. One of the things I will be doing with my gear is taking pictures at the local race track, many times at night. The track does have lights but last year when I was using one of my old lenses with an aperture of f/5.6 the pictures were far from stellar. Hoping to find a 300mm, or longer, in the f/2.8 area. Does such a lens even exist? Thanks to our ISP pretty much shutting down at 4p.m. not having much luck searching.
Thanks in advance for any help
13 REPLIES 13

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Canon makes both a 300mm/F2.8 and a 400mm/F2.8, but they ain't cheap.

I am new to the hobby and have a Rebel T-6. Is the new Tamron 180400 lens compatable with my camera and will it work with my auto settings ? We are going on a trip to Australia next year and I didn't want to take a lot of lens. I am still learing the camera so the Auto settings really are a blessing. 

My friend has the previous version of the Canon 300mm f/2.8 lens and I am always amazed by the shots he gets with it. Beautiful big white lens. 

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

@Hippo69 wrote:

I am new to the hobby and have a Rebel T-6. Is the new Tamron 180400 lens compatable with my camera and will it work with my auto settings ? We are going on a trip to Australia next year and I didn't want to take a lot of lens. I am still learing the camera so the Auto settings really are a blessing. 

Greetings,

You sort of inserted yourself into someone else's thread.  Better not to highjack so that your question receives the visibility it deserves. The Tamron lens you selected is a good general (all purpose) wide-zoom.  If your goal is to take only one lens, it will allow you to capture good memories of your trip.  It's not going to be tack sharp at the max focal length, but will offer good overall performance under varied shooting conditions.  Since the T6 has a flash, you'll be able to take pictures in low light up to 10ft reasonably.  The lens wil offer you decent reach in the 200-400mm range and decent wide angle perfomanace for landscapes 18-50.

So if you are looking for this type of validation, you have it,  The lens will work with your camera.  Before buying I would visit DPReview, Youtube, etc, and see what others say about the performance of the lens.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thanks. Sorry I got into someone else's comments. This is the first time I used this site.  I am an amature and just so they are decent photos , that is fine with me. Thanks for the reply. 

" I am an amature and just so they are decent photos ..."

Canon makes the EF-S 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens.  It is made especially for your camera.  It is probably a better idea to stay with Canon at this point.  The Tamron might work just fine but why risk it when you have this real deal Canon choice?

Did you get the standard kit lens with your Rebel?  Of course you did, so the EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM is a even better choice.  Keep your Canon, Canon if possible.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Thanks for the advice.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

If you bought the ef 70-200mm f2.8L you are not afraid of high prices.  But how about talking $10 grand?  Does that scare you?  Yeah that's right a ef 400mm f2.8L lens is in the ten grand price range.

However, owning a 5D Mk IV you have the ability of higher ISO's that are pretty darn good and very usable. Check out either of the Sigma or Tamron super zooms in 150-600mm range.

In the Canon line there is the ef 400mm f5.6L prime that I really like and it is affordable for anyone.  I consider it a must have lens.  It doesn't have IS so if that is a factor, it's not to me but it is to some folks, the ef 300mm f4L has IS and handles the 1.4 tel-con very well. Resulting in a 420mm f5.6L lens with IS.  By itself the ef 300mm f4L is a great lens and a reasonably fast f4 aperture.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Sorry for the delayed response. If I wasn't on disability the price tag of that lens wouldn't scare me off...but I would have to wait until I was in one of my bi-polar shopping spree moods...lol...

Having been looking at the 1.4 II extender, wish it didn't take a full stop out as I will be doing a lot of lower light shooting. 

Hmmm....

Announcements