cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UV filters?

inkjunkie
Enthusiast

I understand the importance of them....to me the big one is the protection of scratches...I often walk around the yard during sunset with the camera hanging by my side...Daisy, aka, Nosey Nelly, is always trying to sniff/lick the lens...

ANyways, I  did buy a 5D Mark IV. Looking for a "general purpose" walk around type of lens, one of the things I always do is order at the very least a UV filter when I buy a lens. Was looking at Hoya UV filters.

Hoya Professional HD3 UV filter, $153.90, Hoya UV Multi Coated SLim Frame Glass filter, $19.97 and Hoya Hardened Glass 8 Layer Multi Coated Digital UV filter $63.19.

Most of the technical jargon in the photography world still has me scratching my head with that deer in the headlight look.

Of the 3 I mentioned will any of them effect the end result? I have never, until recently, had any quality lenses so I have always just grabbed the lowest price UV filter with the thinking that it is more or less there to protect the glass. In my reading I seem to remember that in some instances if the filters frame is of a poor design it may cause vingetting.

So if you fine folks could shed help clear my confusion I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

14 REPLIES 14

"...only costs about $200-$300 to replace."

The front element on my ef 85mm f1.4L was $385.

"Filters don't protect "expensive lenses"."

And you are right it didn't !  Smiley Sad

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@MikeSowsun wrote:

Filters don't protect "expensive lenses". They only protect the front element which probably only costs about $200-$300 to replace. 

I would beg to differ.  Some lenses need a protective front filter to complete the weather sealing.

Some people like to use protective filters.  Some people do not like to use protective filters.  Personally, I like having a protective filter, because as already been noted, it is easier and safer to clean a $80 filter than a front element of a $2000 lens.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

"... it is easier and safer to clean..."

Bingo! Smiley Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

John_SD
Whiz

@inkjunkie wrote:

I understand the importance of them....to me the big one is the protection of scratches...

I do use a UV filter too, but not to filter out UV light. That isn't necessary with modern lenses. I use it for front-element lens protection. I am often in environments that can wreak havoc on a lens -- areas of the California desert, in forests, along tide pools and the ocean.

In desert shooting,I don't always shoot on my feet. If i encounter a desert tortoise, scorpion, lizard, snake or some other reptile, I like to get on my belly and shoot them "eye to eye," which produces a more pleasing perspective (in my opinion) than shooting them from above. So it is not unusual for the lens to be a an inch or two off the desert floor, nor is it unsual to find a few grains of sand, DG, dirt, dust, etc. on the filter after shooting. This is why I also carry a small retractable brush, blower and lens tissues with me in my pack.  I should probably use a hood to go along with the filter, but the UV filter is better than nothing.

I also use a circular polarizing filter when I'm around water or shooting a landscape with a lot of sky, and its effects are quite noticeable when rotated. I don't understand arguments against filters in these environments, but have become convinced that some people who make those arguments don't shoot in the kinds of environments I do. But to each his own, as they say.

I'm the same.  UV filters for element protection.  Lens puffer is invaluable.  Keep one in my pocket at all times now. 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements