Canon Community Canon Community

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Tripod Collar seized on 100-400 ii

ivejar wrote:
I don't want to remove it. I just want to rotate it so that I can shoot portrait when using my monopod. It won't budge, but it is supposed to rotate similar to the 70-200.

Not exactly like the 70-200mm.  Here is page 15, which is referenced in the above illustration.

Lens_EF_100-400mm_TripodRingMount.PNG

It is supposed to offer some resistance, and not turn smoothy and continously.  It is supposed to click as it turns. 

Here I was, planning to go and pick up one of these tomorrow from my favorite superstore.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I don't rent software. I use Photoshop CS6, ACR 9.8 and Lightroom 6.8 ."
Occasional Contributor

Thanks all, but my collar won't rotate even a little. I've loosened the knob all the way, even removed it to see if some dirt might have gotten in, but it will not rotate. My sister had this lens also. Her collar rotates just fine, so I know there is a problem with mine. I was hoping someone here might have an idea that I've not tried.
Occasional Contributor

Thank you for taking the time to post the diagram. I did try mounting it to the monopod and my tripod. The locking knob rotated fine, but somehow it was jammed tight. 

When I took it into the shop they pulled another one out and it rotates quite freely when the knob is loose, so there is definitely a problem with the collar. 

I understand the collar does not come off, but it should rotate and for some reason mine is stuck. 

Again, thank you all for your responses. It's now at Canon repair facility. I'll post an update when I hear from them.

New Contributor

ivejar, can you update as to the solution of this problem? I've just encountered the same issue. Bob
Occasional Contributor

I still do not know what happened to the collar, but believe I damaged it further trying to get it loose, so don't go there. Luckily I had insurance because the lens had to be repaired by Canon, took a month to get it back at a cost of almost $700.

New Contributor

Ok,thanks.
Esteemed Contributor

ivejar wrote:

I still do not know what happened to the collar, but believe I damaged it further trying to get it loose, so don't go there. Luckily I had insurance because the lens had to be repaired by Canon, took a month to get it back at a cost of almost $700.

Beware of overtightening the collar locking screw.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I don't rent software. I use Photoshop CS6, ACR 9.8 and Lightroom 6.8 ."