cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tripod Collar seized on 100-400 ii

ivejar
Contributor

Has anyone out there had the tripod collar on the 100-400 ii seize up? Mine won't budge. I've tried everything I can think of and just wondered if anyone else has had success getting it to move.

I've got a workshop coming up in 3 weeks and don't have the time to ship it off for repair.

16 REPLIES 16

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@ivejar wrote:

Has anyone out there had the tripod collar on the 100-400 ii seize up? Mine won't budge. I've tried everything I can think of and just wondered if anyone else has had success getting it to move.

I've got a workshop coming up in 3 weeks and don't have the time to ship it off for repair.

You might try loosening and/or removing the tripod foot, to see if that relieves any stress, pressure, or debris holding the rotating ring in place. 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Tried that. I think I'll need to take it in.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"... the 100-400 ii seize up?"

What do you mean?  It won't let you turn it?

"I've tried everything ..."

Like what?

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

This is based on memory of when it first came out & Lens Rentals did their testing but I'm pretty sure it can't be removed like the collar on Ver 1. Removal requires some dismantling.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

ivejar
Contributor
Yes, it can't be removed without dismantling. I have removed the screws completely. Tried putting a few drops of silicone around the ring, etc. It just will not budge.

@ivejar wrote:
Yes, it can't be removed without dismantling. I have removed the screws completely. Tried putting a few drops of silicone around the ring, etc. It just will not budge.

Under the circumstances, are you sure that removing the collar is a good idea? They must have made it a semi-permanent installation for a reason. Maybe the collar is, in effect, a structural member and the lens can become slightly deformed if it's removed.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

ivejar
Contributor
I don't want to remove it. I just want to rotate it so that I can shoot portrait when using my monopod. It won't budge, but it is supposed to rotate similar to the 70-200.

You have made no mention of it, so far.  You are turning the correct knob to loosen the collar? 

Lens_EF_100-400mm_PartsIdentification.PNG

Is that knob stuck, too?  It might be too hard to rotate the collar by hand.  Mount the camera/lens on a tripod, and then try it.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thank you for taking the time to post the diagram. I did try mounting it to the monopod and my tripod. The locking knob rotated fine, but somehow it was jammed tight. 

When I took it into the shop they pulled another one out and it rotates quite freely when the knob is loose, so there is definitely a problem with the collar. 

I understand the collar does not come off, but it should rotate and for some reason mine is stuck. 

Again, thank you all for your responses. It's now at Canon repair facility. I'll post an update when I hear from them.

Announcements