cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The manual focus ring on my 18-135 EF-S zoom lens does not seem to engage the optics to change focus

mikecooper
Apprentice

The manual focus ring on my Canon 18-135mm EF-S spins freely whether the switch is in the AF or MF position. It does not alter the focus. Auto focus works well. Another zoom lens seems to allow manual focus without difficulty. What have I overlooked?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

Is this the new STM version or the older non-STM version of the 18-135?  This will make a difference in how the focus ring works.

If it's the non-STM version (original 18-135) then you should _not_ attempt to focus the lens manually when the auto-focus switch is in the AF mode.  

If it's the STM version (new 18-135) then you can rotate the focus ring whether the auto-focus switch is in the AF or MF position (but it wont focus unless the camera is powered on and not sleeping.  E.g. half-press the shutter to wake it and the focus ring will work.)

Most USM lenses (there is no USM version of the 18-135) allow the focus ring to be turned whether the camera is in AF or MF mode.  The ring is basically a like a mild clutch and it has some deliberate slip built in -- and those focus rings will just keep turning and turning... there is no hard stop for the ring.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

Is this the new STM version or the older non-STM version of the 18-135?  This will make a difference in how the focus ring works.

If it's the non-STM version (original 18-135) then you should _not_ attempt to focus the lens manually when the auto-focus switch is in the AF mode.  

If it's the STM version (new 18-135) then you can rotate the focus ring whether the auto-focus switch is in the AF or MF position (but it wont focus unless the camera is powered on and not sleeping.  E.g. half-press the shutter to wake it and the focus ring will work.)

Most USM lenses (there is no USM version of the 18-135) allow the focus ring to be turned whether the camera is in AF or MF mode.  The ring is basically a like a mild clutch and it has some deliberate slip built in -- and those focus rings will just keep turning and turning... there is no hard stop for the ring.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Thank you.

You don't have to press the shutter to 1/2 to manually focus the lens.  At 18MM focus is esentially infinity and nothing much happens when turning the focus ring.  Zoom to something 10-15 feet away and the focus ring (in MF) will take up to 2 turns of the ring to get the subject in focus.  

Keep shooting till it looks right!
T4i, 28-300 Tamron IS, 18-55 EF-S STM, 18-135 EF-S STM, Speedlight 580EX II 10-20 Sigma, Aftermarket BGA.

I’m struggling to get my EFS 10-18 set to focus when taking photos of stars at night. Any suggestions. As the manual focus ring just continues to spin endlessly, it’s hard to determine when it’s all the way out.

Announcements