cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Best Lens

idanidan123
Enthusiast

Obviously there is no ''best lens'', but I wanna ask you- What is the best lens, in your opinion, for each photography style ?

I want at least ONE llens you think is the best for: Landscape, portrait, macro, street, nature, wildlife, event, aerial, sports and night.

As always, thanks in advance !

21 REPLIES 21

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@idanidan123 wrote:

Obviously there is no ''best lens'', but I wanna ask you- What is the best lens, in your opinion, for each photography style ?

I want at least ONE llens you think is the best for: Landscape, portrait, macro, street, nature, wildlife, event, aerial, sports and night.

There is no such thing as one best lens. That's why there are interchangeable lens cameras.

If I had to buy one camera and one lens it would be the 5D Mk IV and the EF 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6L IS USM Lens.

@TTMartin wrote:

@idanidan123 wrote:

There is no such thing as one best lens. That's why there are interchangeable lens cameras.

If I had to buy one camera and one lens it would be the 5D Mk IV and the EF 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6L IS USM Lens.

He's right.  There is no "best lens" for anything.  You're asking the wrong question.  Lenses don't come stamped as "sports" or "landscape".  Lenses are identified by their focal lengths.  While some lenses are stamped as "macro", any lens with a short MFD can be used to create a macro shot.  My son used a kit EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-6.3 IS II, with a couple of extension tubes, to cut his teeth on shooting plates of food.    

For example, I have used 14mm to shoot landscapes, and I have used 50mm, 85mm, and 100mm, lenses to create a panorama of a landscape.

I'm not a portrait shooter, but portraits can range from a close up of the head and shoulders, to a full body shot.  A focal length that works outdoors for a portrait would likely be far too long for an indoor portrait shots.

I have shot macro shots at focal lengths ranging from 35mm to 200mm, and on one occasion I experimented at 300mm.

Nature?  Not sure what you have in mind, because that could range from landscape shots of mountain ranges to macro shots of wild flowers, and any number of a thousand other things, including wildlife.

What lens to use for wildlife?  That depends upon the size of the wildlife, and how close you can get to it.  You can figure using the full range of focal lengths.  I have shot bison at the zoo at 16mm, and seagulls on distant rocks at 1200mm.

Sports?  Shooting sports is not all that different from wildlife.  What is the relative size of the sport, and how close can you get to it?  You can figure on needing a full range of focal lengths, depending how you want to frame your subject.

Night photos?  I have shot at night using 16mm f/2.8 and hand holding the camera.  I have shot the Moon at 1200mm at f/11 while mounted on a tripod.

Are you getting the idea?  There is no such thing as a best lens, which is why cameras can use interchangeable lenses.  The best that you can do is gather a collection of lenses that cover a wide range of focal lengths.  Look at the lists that Ernie and I posted earlier.  They cover a wide range of focal lengths.  Most of the time I do not carry five lenses, but I will carry the one or two lenses that offer the most versatile range of focal lengths, based upon what I might expect to need.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

"There is no such thing as one best lens."

Actually there is, the Canon PowerShot G1 X Mark II Digital Camera.  Or perhaps the Canon PowerShot G7 X Mark II.  They come as close as one can expect as a one lens, one camera platform.  Of course it all depends on your definition of "best".

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"There is no such thing as one best lens."

Actually there is, the Canon PowerShot G1 X Mark II Digital Camera.  Or perhaps the Canon PowerShot G7 X Mark II.  They come as close as one can expect as a one lens, one camera platform.  Of course it all depends on your definition of "best".

Neither the Powershot G1X Mk II nor the Powershot G7X Mk II have a better lens than the EF 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6L IS USM Lens on a 5D Mk IV. That is unless of course you don't understand the impact of image sensor size on effective aperture. 

"Of course it all depends on your definition of "best"."

"That is unless of course you don't understand the impact of image sensor size on effective aperture."

Perhaps you don't comprehend reading 101?  

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"Of course it all depends on your definition of "best"."

"That is unless of course you don't understand the impact of image sensor size on effective aperture."

Perhaps you don't comprehend reading 101?  

Under what deffinition of 'best' is the lens of the Powershot G1X Mk II or the Powershot G7X Mk II better lens than the EF 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6L IS USM Lens on a 5D Mk IV?

OK, let me go over this very slowly so you can understand.  There are other people's idea of what 'best' is besides yours.  Yours is not the only one.  What you might consider 'best', someone else may not or vice versa.  As it happens there are many folks that are totally happy with their choice of the 'best' camera/lens combo.  And guess what, it isn't yours.

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

OK, let me go over this very slowly so you can understand.  There are other people's idea of what 'best' is besides yours.  Yours is not the only one.  What you might consider 'best', someone else may not or vice versa.  As it happens there are many folks that are totally happy with their choice of the 'best' camera/lens combo.  And guess what, it isn't yours.

Let me say this again slowly so you can understand. 

I said: "There is no such thing as one best lens."

You said: Actually there is, the Canon PowerShot G1 X Mark II Digital Camera.  Or perhaps the Canon PowerShot G7 X Mark II. They come as close as one can expect as a one lens, one camera platform.  Of course it all depends on your definition of "best".

I responded with: Under what definition of 'best' is the lens of the Powershot G1X Mk II or the Powershot G7X Mk II better lens than the EF 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6L IS USM Lens on a 5D Mk IV?

You responded with a condescending remark, instead of explaining what criteria you used to determine that the Powershot G1X Mk II or the Powershot G7X Mk II were the best. Too bad you can't back up your opionions with substance, but, what else is new.  

"... instead of explaining what criteria ..."

OK easy, not yours!

You have your opinion of what is best and so does everybody else.  Yours is not the end all.  No matter how much you believe it is.  To some folks a cell phone is best.  To some a 1Dx Mk II with a big "L" lens is.  And there is everything in between.  If it meets your requirements, needs and you are satisfied, it is the 'best' for you.

Is that really so difficult for you to understand.  Not everybody is alike or the same.  

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

OK easy, not yours!

I've noticed I seem to have that affect on your views. Anything to be contrary to what TTMartin posts. So sad. You should get out and take more pictures, you might learn something.

Announcements