cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Telephoto lens too tight

CameronPepper
Apprentice
I purchased a canon 1300d the other day and with it came a ultimaxx 2.2 telephoto lens, I screwed it on to the end of my 18-55mm lens, and it is too tight and will not come off, I want it off before I go on holiday, how can I get this off?
5 REPLIES 5

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

They sell filter wrenches.  When you get it off of your lens, toss it in the garbage.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@CameronPepper wrote:
I purchased a canon 1300d the other day and with it came a ultimaxx 2.2 telephoto lens, I screwed it on to the end of my 18-55mm lens, and it is too tight and will not come off, I want it off before I go on holiday, how can I get this off?

What you're describing is not a lens; it's a filter/adapter that tries to make your lens into something it was not designed to be. All such "lenses" are worthless. The ones that are hard to remove are more worthless than the rest.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

You need to take it to a camera repair shop.  The actual lens is too fragile for you to try and force it off.  If you do you WILL damage the lens beyond repair.

The advice to toss it into the trash is a good one.  Do it after you get it off.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

CameronPepper
Apprentice
Yeah it's only a cheap one that came with the camera bundle, as I'm new to cameras I thought I'd try it out. Thank you for the advice

I ran into the same problem a few years back and took it into a camera store. The guy used a rubber sheet, the kind you can buy to open jar lids. 

I tried it once, again, many years ago, to remove a scratched UV filter. I pushed the rubber mat into the knurled edge with my fingertips while holding the lens in the other hand and it turned with little difficulty. My filter was tight as I left it on full time and chain-ganged other filters and lens hood into it.

My suggestion, if you try this, is don't force it. If it doesn't loosen with moderate pressure then go to a camera store and ask for help. Anyone that has ever had a kid will tell you that "poop happens". There is no shame in asking others for assistance.

Good luck.

Announcements