cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tamron Lens?

hangymt
Contributor
Has anyone tried using a Tamron? I have a 60D and I'm thinking about getting one but I don't no if it is recommended?
7 REPLIES 7

cicopo
Elite

Tamron, Tokina & Sigma have several very good lenses, but they also have some duds. I strongly recommend that you be very specific on what lens you're shopping for & how you intend to use it. (IE landscapes, action, low light etc). The more info you supply the better.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

JoeDavid
Enthusiast

Like most lens manufacturers, it depends on which lens you are looking at.  I have a friend that has one of their SP 70-300mm VC USD zooms that is pretty sharp.  He hasn't had any problems with it and is very happy with the image quality.  On the other hand, I have one of their AF28-300mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di VC that I purchased as an alternative to the Canon 28-300mm f3.5-5.6L IS that I also own for when I want to travel light.  The Tamron is much smaller and lighter but the image quality suffers quite a bit compared to the Canon L lens.  Of course the Tamron is probably 1/4 the price and weight so it's a tradeoff.  The VC (image stabilization) on the lens works very well but the images are soft if printed or viewed at a large magnification.  The Tamron is amazingly slow to focus with a Canon 5D Mark III once the aperture gets to f6.3.  Even at f5.6 the lens is no match for the more expensive Canon where focusing is concerned. 

Currenly using R5 and R7 mostly plus a variety of Canon RF and EF lens...

Thanks! I shoot everything around me, so I'm thinking about an all-in-one tamron but I just dn't know which one will work best for the 60D.

As a general rule the greater the range the lower the IQ (image quality) & the more it costs the better the IQ, but there are exceptions. Superzooms like the 18-200 & greater are a compromise, BUT many are very happy with them, myself included when it fits my needs (which can be cost or size / weight). I have the original version of their 18-270 VC & used it last year as my travel lens on a 7D; AND when I went on my annual vacation to Cozumel Mexico I found out there was going to be an air show a few days after my arrival. I used what I had & i'm happy with the results as would most people, but when you look carefully the IQ on the wide end is a bit soft. Very few people would notice or complain about thatsoftness and I won't either but I have better gear & a lot of experience shooting air shows, but they are radio control events using smaller & faster (considering the scaled down sizes).

The newer version of the 18-270 VC is supposed to be better, but I don't know whether it's the IQ or AF that's better or both, but this is the link to my results using the original version on a 7D (18 mpixels, fast AF system).

https://picasaweb.google.com/TCPRCphotos/AirShowCozumel2012

If you'd be happy with similar results & are looking for a 1 lens solution then a bit more research should confirm whether or not it's worth a try.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

ScottyP
Authority

I was just reading a photo magazine at lunch today, and it was testing "affordable telephoto" lenses.  The Tamron 70-300 came out on top in that "contest".

What lens were you looking at?

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I can't vouch for any of the Tamrons but I can say some very good things about the Sigma 50-150mm f/2.8 EX DC OS HSM APO and it's cousin the Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 EX DG APO OS HSM.

Right up front neither of these lens' are “L” level or quality. But they are pretty darn good.

I know of some problems with certain off-brand lens' so make sure the one you choose works with your camera. Sometimes you can send it back to the manufacturer and have it re-chipped to work but who wants to do that?

Stick with Canon if you are able to but in my case Canon does not make a 50-150mm lens for crop cameras.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

RLPhoto
Contributor

The New Tamron 70-200 2.8 and 24-70 2.8 VC's are pretty good from what I've seen and heard. Throw in a Sigma 35mm 1.4 and you've got a sweet 3rd party kit.

My Canon Prime Trinity + 24-105L
24L II - 50L - 135L
www.RamonLperez.com
Announcements