cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Solar eclipse

Tsleel2811
Enthusiast
I'm having trouble finding a solar filter for the upcoming eclipse. Mostly because I don't know what to search for. Can anybody help.

I need a 77mm filter for 100-400L ii
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I purchased a thousand Oaks 12" X 12" filter sheet. 

I made my own filter holder. To fit the lens hood. That way I can just remove the hood when not using the Solar Filter and just use my CPL when safe/er.  

Here is how;  TOOLS:  Exacto knife, Solid thin cardboard, Double sided scotch tape, Protractor, and Tape measure. 

I measured the lens hood diameter end which attaches to the lens.

Cut out the diameter of a thin solid cardboard. Then made another circle about a 1/4" smaller.

Then made another circle about a 1/4" smaller and cut out the cardboard.

Cut two cardboard pieces.

Cut the Thousand Oaks Solar film the outside diameter of the cardboard.

attached the double sided scotch tape to both pieces of cardboard.

Adhere the film between the cardboard. 

I then using the Exacto knife trimmed to fit the lens hood about 1/3 to half way down.

Double check that you are not allowing any sunlight to pass between the lens hood and the filter.

Good to go.

ByTheWay, the filter is not entirely tight but appears not to be an issue. When I tested in direct sunlight.

{ I am making two smaller solar filters for my sun glasses and taping the filter to the frame. That way I can just drop down my sunglasses using a neck string }

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

ThousandOaks.com is a supplier. They are out of stock on 77mm filters, but they might still have the filer material that you could adapt to lens.

There may be others, but I don't know.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Tsleel2811
Enthusiast
Do you know if a different supplier that has threaded filters. I don't have enough spare time to adapt to my lens. Thank you

As I said, there may be other suppliers but I don't know.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Out of stock for now, but should be available before the eclipse.  Cannot attest to its effectiveness since I have not used it myself.

https://www.amazon.com/Solar-Filter-Telescopes-Binoculars-Cameras/dp/B00DS7IFQS/ref=pd_sim_469_7?_en...

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
It's made by Thousand Oaks.

Did you try getting the sheet directly from them?
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Tsleel2811
Enthusiast
I did not and I don't wants to get a sheet. I'm looking for a threaded filter. I'm more of a plug-and-play player

I offer this input:

1. I ordered my filter from TO back in July. At that time they were running three weeks from order to delivery, and they were claiming instock.

2. now their site is showing 77mm out of stock.

You might want a  Plan B. Its pretty simple to rubber band the filter over the front of the lens just incase the other vendor can't deliver.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

I purchased a thousand Oaks 12" X 12" filter sheet. 

I made my own filter holder. To fit the lens hood. That way I can just remove the hood when not using the Solar Filter and just use my CPL when safe/er.  

Here is how;  TOOLS:  Exacto knife, Solid thin cardboard, Double sided scotch tape, Protractor, and Tape measure. 

I measured the lens hood diameter end which attaches to the lens.

Cut out the diameter of a thin solid cardboard. Then made another circle about a 1/4" smaller.

Then made another circle about a 1/4" smaller and cut out the cardboard.

Cut two cardboard pieces.

Cut the Thousand Oaks Solar film the outside diameter of the cardboard.

attached the double sided scotch tape to both pieces of cardboard.

Adhere the film between the cardboard. 

I then using the Exacto knife trimmed to fit the lens hood about 1/3 to half way down.

Double check that you are not allowing any sunlight to pass between the lens hood and the filter.

Good to go.

ByTheWay, the filter is not entirely tight but appears not to be an issue. When I tested in direct sunlight.

{ I am making two smaller solar filters for my sun glasses and taping the filter to the frame. That way I can just drop down my sunglasses using a neck string }

Hi everyone!

Canon has some recommended do-it-yourself info at http://Canon.us/xcj3 that includes some safety tips as well. Your eyes are irreplaceable and your camera's sensor is a costly repair, so you want to make sure you do it right!

Announcements