cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sigma 150-600

Corvax
Apprentice
So I was going to invest and get the sigma 150-600mm lens I have a rebel sl1. Was wondering if it's a good lens for the camera I have or is it not worth getting it and save up for a better camera then get the lens. Thanks for the help
37 REPLIES 37

@Waddizzle wrote:

@Corvax wrote:
So I was going to invest and get the sigma 150-600mm lens I have a rebel sl1. Was wondering if it's a good lens for the camera I have or is it not worth getting it and save up for a better camera then get the lens. Thanks for the help

Another reason the SL1 is not a good match for one of the 150-600mm lens has to do with battery size.  Big lenses have big focusing motors.  They require a lot of power to operate.  A small power supply will not operate the larger focusing motors as smoothly and accurately as a larger power supply.

And the battery itself may be more prone to overheating, because it's trying to put out more power than it was designed for. A well-designed battery may refuse to make the attempt, but then, as Waddizzle says, a focusing motor whose power requirements aren't being met will operate sub-optimally, if at all. A mismatch between the power supply and the device being powered will cost you at one end or the other.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

And the Looney Toon parade continues! Smiley Frustrated

LCD screen and any wireless features like Bluetooth, WiFi or GPS are the big heaviest drains. This would be followed by flash and or focus-assist.  Auto-focus, image stabilization would probably be last.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Sorry, ebiggs: While the *average* power drain might be low, moving all that mass on a big lens is going to require a hefty current draw.

Even if that amounts to a significant loss of battery usage, which I don't agree with at all, carrying a second battery is not difficult.  Lot's of folks own more than one battery.  Geez!

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Even if that amounts to a significant loss of battery usage, which I don't agree with at all, carrying a second battery is not difficult.  Lot's of folks own more than one battery.  Geez!

And lots of folks use a battery grip with two batteries for higher amperage or a 1DX camera with both higher voltage and higher amperage batteries to specifically help with the focus speed of bigger lenses.  

Carrying an extra little battery in your pocket isn't going to get more power to the lens.

"...isn't going to get more power to the lens."

The lens is going to take whatever power it needs.  The only question is how long the battery can supply it. I think it not a problem but if it is take two batteries or even three.

EB

The problem with a third party lens is that Canon probably does not share maximum current draw specs so Sigma is flying blind as to how much peak current is safe.

No, the problem is, we have not confirmed there is a problem.  There is not. The Rebel SL1 or SL2 can use either the big Tamron 150-600 or the Siggy zooms or any of the big white lenses for that matter.

I have used the SL1 and the only problem is the diminutive size of the camera.  But personally I wouldn't use the SL1 at all because of that fact.

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"...isn't going to get more power to the lens."

The lens is going to take whatever power it needs.  The only question is how long the battery can supply it. I think it not a problem but if it is take two batteries or even three.

No, that is not the only question. The question at issue in this case is whether the battery can supply the required power at all.

Have you seen those plastic shells that make a AA or AAA cell look like a D cell? Try putting a AA in four of those, then put them in, say, a flashlight or camp lantern that takes four D cells. The light will be very weak if it comes on at all. The AA's simply can't supply the necessary power, even briefly. By your reasoning, you could use eight D cells to start a car. Ain't gonna happen.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

The the Great Karnak would be amazed.  You have never used the SL1 or the Sigma 150-600mm C at least together and  yet are able to explain exactly how they will work together.

"... you could use eight D cells to start a car."  Smiley LOL

That is priceless. It certainly proves a SL1 can not work a big lens.

EB
Announcements