cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sigma 150-600

Corvax
Apprentice
So I was going to invest and get the sigma 150-600mm lens I have a rebel sl1. Was wondering if it's a good lens for the camera I have or is it not worth getting it and save up for a better camera then get the lens. Thanks for the help
37 REPLIES 37

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Assuming you stick with Canon, the lens will work fine with your SL1 and any future body.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

There are two versions or models of the big Siggy zoom.  The one you want is the Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary Lens for Canon EF,  The "S" model would make for a very unbalanced combo.

There is also the Tamron SP 150-600mm f/5-6.3 Di VC USD G2 for Canon EF.  At this time if I were to buy one of there super zooms it would be the Tamron.  You may want to check it out.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

Those lenses are far to big and heavy to pair with the diminutive SL1.

What do you mean? That is why you support the lens with its own handle, not the camera. It works fine with my XS which is not much bigger than the SL1.

@kvbarkley wrote:

What do you mean? That is why you support the lens with its own handle, not the camera. It works fine with my XS which is not much bigger than the SL1.

Supporting the lens by its 'handle' is fine for carrying it. But, handheld shooting would be awkward at best. The photo below is of my XTi with EF 40mm f/2.8 STM lens and my 7D with the Sigma 120-300 f/2.8 which is similar in size and weight to the Sigma 150-600 Sport. sigma 120-300.jpg

My Canon 100-400 L IS II weighs a full lb less than the Sigma 150-600 contemporary, and I still wouldn't use it on my SL1.

I purchased an SL1 to carry on long distance backpacking trips. The SL1 camera is ideal i.e. the best camera for what it was designed for being small and light weight. Pared with the EF-S 55-250 IS STM it is superb. 

I'm not a fan of the 3rd party 150-600's they are heavy compared to the Canon 100-400 L IS II, and image quality of the Sigma 150-600 Contemporary is no match for the Canon 100-400 IS II even with a 1.4X teleconverter.

Now that you mention it, it is a bit awkward, but for some shots you have little choice (I wish I would have had it at Edwards this week when the F-35's went by on afterburner):

IMG_6622.jpg

IMG_1011.jpg

"Now that you mention it, it is a bit awkward,..."

Of course a real photographer, you adjust to it.  I probably would not use the "S" on  a SL1 or a M6 personally, but I know guys that do.  Guess what they do just fine.

BTW, those are F16's in your photo.  My father was an original member of the Thunderbird Demonstration Team.  They flew the F51-D Mustang.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@Corvax wrote:
So I was going to invest and get the sigma 150-600mm lens I have a rebel sl1. Was wondering if it's a good lens for the camera I have or is it not worth getting it and save up for a better camera then get the lens. Thanks for the help

I have the Sigma 150-600mm “C”, and hardly used it. I would not recommend it. Sigma released a firmware update, which was a complete rewrite of the AF algorithms. The update was like buying a new lens, and now I would recommend the lens.

It is good advice to carry the camera/lens combo by the tripod foot. The lens is quite heavy compared to what you might be accustomed to using. I always use mine on a monopod, with a Kirk MPA-2 Monopod Head.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@Corvax wrote:

Another reason the SL1 is not a good match for one of the 150-600mm lens has to do with battery size.  Big lenses have big focusing motors.  They require a lot of power to operate.  A small power supply will not operate the larger focusing motors as smoothly and accurately as a larger power supply.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements