cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting hyperfocal distance

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

I know this is a bit old fashioned, but any ideas on how to set hyperfocal distamce on a lens - like my new 18-135 STM - that does not have a distance scale?

18 REPLIES 18

@Waddizzle wrote:

Maybe you should buy an actual wide angle lens.  Your 50mm prime and telephoto zoom are not wide angle.  I recommend trying out a budget wide angle, manual focus lens, like the Robinson 14mm f/2.8.

Appreciate the reply.

You will probably need to get a distance finder like golfers use. Find something in the frame the hyper focal distance away and focus on that. You might need to make a reference chart at each Aperture for reference.

Thanks, great suggestion for my current issue.

@macca9091 wrote:
Thanks, great suggestion for my current issue.

You do not need a gadget to read distance.  With an ultra wide angle lens, set the aperture to f/4 - f/8, and everything beyond a several feet from the camera will be in perfect focus, because the hyper focal distance is that short.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@kvbarkley wrote:

I know this is a bit old fashioned, but any ideas on how to set hyperfocal distamce on a lens - like my new 18-135 STM - that does not have a distance scale?

Food for tought, I have distances scales on all three of my "L" series lenses, BTW

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I always kind of wondered what was meant when they say to "focus on something 1/3 of the way into the scene" to approximate the HF distance.  If you have the horizon/infinity in the shot, what is 1/3 of infinity?  Do they mean 1/3 of the distance to the most distant thing you care to see in the photo?

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

I think the only lenses I have that don't have distance scales are the 18-135 and maybe my 50/1.8. But the 18-135 is my walking around lens/landscape lens.

macca9091
Apprentice
Thank you

Somehow I missed this thread.

When we shoot photos of the night sky we actually do refine the focus on a star.  There are two reasons.

1.  You can't really use a high f-stop.  It's dark.  There's almost no light.  The Earth is spinning.  If you close down the aperture, then you have to take a longer exposure.  This is going to elongate the stars and you'll have star trails instead of pin-point stars.  If you actually want star-trail photos that's great, but if you want Milky Way shots or deep-sky shots then it's going to ruin the shot.

Consequently these shots are usually taken at or very near the wide-open setting for that lens.

2.  This means that the f-stop wont save you if you miss focus.  So you'll want to be careful to dial in the focus as fine as possible.

The common technique (this is just to help focus - not for the real exposure) is use live-view mode, switch the lens to manual-focus mode, crank the exposure to max (max out the ISO, set the aperture to wide-open, and set the shutter speed to 30 seconds).  This is because Canon uses "exposure simulation in live view" and that will make it brighten up the points of light for each star.

Find a nice bright star (this time of year, that would be Sirius - follow the three stars of Orion's Belt to the "left" (east) and the brightest star you find in that direction is Sirius.  It's the brightest star in the night-time sky.

Center, focus the lens to near the infinity mark (so that's "close" but just not perfect) and then zoom the live-view to 10x magnification.  Now *carefully* refine focus to bring that star down to a pin-point.

Don't forget to return the exposure settings to what you actually plan to use.  Point the camera to the section of sky you want to shoot (without bumping the focus ring).

Now you can take your shots.

You can also get focus-masks such as the "Sharp Star" focus mask by Lonely Speck or you can buy a "bahtinov focusing mask" (that's not a brand, it's a type of focusing mask).  Both of these cause points of light to produce diffraction spikes which will converge at a common center point when you've nailed perfect focus.

I have taken shots at f/8... but only on a tracking head (no landscape ... deep sky objects).  If you can spare the time and the alignment of the tracking head is bang-on accurate then reducing the aperture can help correct for lots of lens issues such as field-flatness (even focus across the field) and other optical issues.  But if on a fixed tripod you generally have to shoot at a very low focal ratio or you wont get enough light before the Earth spins too much.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements