Rebel T6 Telephoto Options Advice

EddM
Contributor

New to the Community.

Have the Rebel T6 and 3 lens:

• EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II
  • EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III, and
  • EF 28-90mm f/4-5.6

I would like to do wildlife/bird and othe longer distance photography with a 500mm plus lens.

I am a hobbyist/amateur and really cannot afford the pricey Canon lens in that 500mm range.

Am I better of to buy something like a:

• Canon Extender EF 2x Auto Focus
  • Viltrox C-AF 2X Teleplus/Yongnuo YN-2.0X II Teleconverter or similar
  • or even the Canon 1.4x EF Extender III Lens and Teleconverter

to use with the EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III

or

Buy an inexpensive manual focus only 500mm like the:

• Oshiro 500mm f/6.3 (T-Mount with Adaptor)
  • Opteka/Bower/Vivitar 500mm f/8 (T-Mount with Adaptor)

I know you get what you pay for and all but would appreciate feedback, thoughts, recommendations.

23 REPLIES 23

@EddM wrote:

Want to thank everyone for the input and advice.

DSLR is new to me as I shot 35mm film in the past and got away from it.

The teleconvertors are obviously out.

Will look at some of the recommended other lens.

Might still think about the non-mirror 500mm manual focus as that doesn't bother me as I shot a lot of 35mm film manual for years.

As I look at some things might reach out again for input.

Edd M.

If you're looking at one of the 500mm lenses, that is long like a telescope, then be advised that the tripod foot on most of them is not very stable.  There is too much wobble and play, even after you lock it down, because of the high moment of inertia caused by the camera body being so far away from the center of the tripod.

Without a very robust tripod, the off-center load will quickly destabilize your average tripod/head combo.  And, with 500mm on an APS-C sensor, you are going to need some type of support.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thanks for the input. Not sure I am going to go with one of those 500mm manual focus.

I do have a fairly robust tripod with a 20lb capacity rating so should be good if I go that route.

@EddM wrote:

Thanks for the input. Not sure I am going to go with one of those 500mm manual focus.

I do have a fairly robust tripod with a 20lb capacity rating so should be good if I go that route.

Want to test how stable your tripod and head really are?  Use your 75-300mm lens, and try focusing on the Moon in Live View.  You will need to switch the lens AF/MF switch to MF.  You will also need to use the 10x magnify mode in Live View.

If you are using a ball head, then your first problem is going to be pointing at the Moon.  Ignoring the fact that the Moon is constantly moving out of the frame, you can expect the camera/lens combo to shift slightly as you tighten ball head.  This shift, or backlash, only gets worse with longer, heavier lenses.

Once you get the camera locked in place, with the Moon in the frame, try turning the focus ring.  If your view of the Moon suddenly turns into what looks like an earthquake, which makes it difficult to impossible to focus, then this is not uncommon.  The longer the focal length of the lens, the worse the earthquake.  

The load ratings of tripods are not exact science.  There is no standard behind it, AFAIK.  Some manufacturers seem to be overly optimistic in their load ratings, while a few others seem to be under rated.  One thing is for sure, though.  A tripod is most stable with the center column fully lowered.  Some are most stable with their legs retracted.  All are most stable with a load that is centered over the Center-of-Gravity of the tripod.  You can make similar observations regarding tripod heads.

Using a heavy telephoto lens, and then pointing it upwards towards the Moon, presents a significant load that is not centered above the CoG of either the tripod legs, or the tripod head.  Leveling the camera/lens, and aiming at the horizon, significantly reduces the problems you may have observed while pointed upwards, above 45 degrees, at the Moon.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

"I do have a fairly robust tripod with a 20lb capacity rating so should be good if I go that route."

Those lenses are very light.  Maybe even as light or lighter than you 75-300mm zoom.  The tripod will not be the issue.

"Not sure I am going to go with one of those 500mm manual focus."

OK, if that is the case and you go with one of the lenses I suggested the tripod could be an issue.  It will need to be 'robust'.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements