Rebel T6 Telephoto Options Advice

EddM
Contributor

New to the Community.

Have the Rebel T6 and 3 lens:

• EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II
  • EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III, and
  • EF 28-90mm f/4-5.6

I would like to do wildlife/bird and othe longer distance photography with a 500mm plus lens.

I am a hobbyist/amateur and really cannot afford the pricey Canon lens in that 500mm range.

Am I better of to buy something like a:

• Canon Extender EF 2x Auto Focus
  • Viltrox C-AF 2X Teleplus/Yongnuo YN-2.0X II Teleconverter or similar
  • or even the Canon 1.4x EF Extender III Lens and Teleconverter

to use with the EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III

or

Buy an inexpensive manual focus only 500mm like the:

• Oshiro 500mm f/6.3 (T-Mount with Adaptor)
  • Opteka/Bower/Vivitar 500mm f/8 (T-Mount with Adaptor)

I know you get what you pay for and all but would appreciate feedback, thoughts, recommendations.

23 REPLIES 23

@EddM wrote:

Tamron 200-500mm SP IF LD DI

I do not know anything about that lens.  Be advised, that more times than not, you get what you paid for.  Because your T6 is an entry level camera, there are probably more disadvantages to using a third party lens, than a canon lens.

What type, or size, of birds are you looking to photograph?

IMG_2015_09_260649.jpg

The real trick to getting good photographs being close to the subject.  I shot the above photography with an EF-S 18-135mm lens on a Rebel T5, which was the predecessor to your T6.  The cameras seem identical, minus the Wi-Fi.

If you are just starting out, then there is a learning curve looming in front of you.  I suggest climbing the ladder, and starting out with an EF-S 55-250mm lens from the Canon Online Refurbished Store, and get a one year warranty backed by Canon.

https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/lenses-flashes/refurbished-lenses

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

OK. now you hit on a lens I did use to have.  The Tamron 200-500mm f/5-6.3 Di LD IF SP AF was/is a pretty decent lens and is in the line of fore runners of the current crop of super teles.  Again not a great lens but a decent one.  It will provide nice photos.  It isn't as fast at AF as the current one are and there is no IS.  But that isn't a huge problem.  It may make you a better photographer in the end.  Today a lot of guys couldn't use a non-IS lens because they never have.

It should work on your T6, OK.  The suggestion of getting the ef-s 55-250mm isn't valid because it it way too short for birds and wildlife under most situations.  You will be disappointed.  Tiny birds will still be tiny in your shots unless they are in a cage.

BTW, you need to be super careful and not pay very much for the Tamron 200-500mm f/5-6.3 Di LD IF SP AF.  I would much better see in in a more current supe tele.  Don't go much over $350 bucks on one.  And, it should be mint at that.  I sold mine for $300 years ago.

It was mint !  Smiley Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Thanks to everyone for the input and advise.

The Tamaron got sold before I could get it.

Keeping my eyes open. 

I'm sure I will be asking more.

Soon I will post a few pics I have shot with what lens' I do have.

@EddM wrote:

Keeping my eyes open. 

Beware of buying used gear on eBay, or Amazon.  One good site for used Canon gear is KEH.

BTW, there is a learning curve associated with using a super telephoto lens effectively.  Jumping into the deep end, which has been suggested to you, leads to confusion and misconceptions.  Like I said, climb the ladder, from telephoto to super telephoto.  I doubt if the person who advised you to jump into the deep end without any experience did the same.

@Waddizzle wrote:

@EddM wrote:

Keeping my eyes open. 

Beware of buying used gear on eBay, or Amazon.  One good site for used Canon gear is KEH.

BTW, there is a learning curve associated with using a super telephoto lens effectively.  Jumping into the deep end, which has been suggested to you, leads to confusion and misconceptions.  Like I said, climb the ladder, from telephoto to super telephoto.  I doubt if the person who advised you to jump into the deep end without any experience did the same.

A middle approach is to rent some of the big stuff and try it out. If you find that you really like it and feel ready to invest the time and effort to learn to use it well, you can buy that type of equipment straightaway and save yourself the cost of the intermediate lenses that you would eventually have discarded. If, OTOH, you find yourself over your head and unwilling or unable to expend the requisite effort to get past the learning curve, you can start buying lesser lenses with some confidence that you're making the right choice.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Have the Rebel T6 and 3 lens:

• EF 28-90mm f/4-5.6"

Forget the Canon t-cons.  They won't work with what (the lenses) you have. Kenko t-cons might, I don't know for sure but I can say it probably isn't a good idea anyway.

"Oshiro 500mm f/6.3 (T-Mount with Adaptor)

Opteka/Bower/Vivitar 500mm f/8 (T-Mount with Adaptor)"

These are actually pretty decent lenses.  Actually they are all the same lens just rebranded with whatever name anybody puts on them. The big problem is they are totally manual.  You will do everything. Challenging to focus. So, if that doesn't bother you, go for it.  It is the cheapest way to go.

I might suggest another option.  Used market.  SInce Tamron has come out with the G2, the originals (150-600mm f5-6.3) are a buy ($500 or less).  Another choice and they are really cheap now is the Sigma 150-500mm f5-6.3.  I have seen these for $300 bucks in great condition.  I have one, in fact I have had three of them. The one I have is not just good but it is very good.  But it was the choice of three.

EB

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@EddM wrote:

New to the Community.

Have the Rebel T6 and 3 lens:

• EF 28-90mm f/4-5.6

Forget using a teleextender with that camera body.  The AF sensor lacks the sensitivity to work your EF 75-300mm over its' full zoom range when it is used with an extender.  It will work with the 1.4x at 75mm, and not much more focal length.  Your camera body will not AF at all with a 2.0x extender.  

You don't want to buy an extender only to use it at just the short end of your zoom lens, or forcing yourself to manual focus.  So, save your money and forget about an extender.  As noted above, they work best with premium camera bodies that have sensitive AF sensors that can focus at narrow apertures, like f/8.

Birding can be an expensive hobby.  It begins with a high quality super telephoto lens, which means a focal length greater than 300mm.  Using a high performance camera body is a huge advantage.  More AF points translates into better AF tracking of moving subjects. Having an image sensor capable of high ISO settings translates into faster shutter speeds, which is crucial for getting sharp photos of quickly moving subjects.

None of that comes cheap, but it doesn't have to be expensive.  While Canon doesn't currently offer a lens in the niche that you are looking for, you may want to look at the new Sigma 100-400mm lens.  It has much better image quality than your 75-300mm, and it focuses much faster, too.

If you wish to learn more about exposure, and how different settings can impact the end result, invest in a fast lens with a wide aperture, like the EF 50mm f/1.8 STM lens.  This will give you the opportunity to explore faster shutter speeds and wide apertures.  The cost of the lens is well worth the cost, which is less than most photography classes.

EddM
Contributor

Want to thank everyone for the input and advice.

DSLR is new to me as I shot 35mm film in the past and got away from it.

The teleconvertors are obviously out.

Will look at some of the recommended other lens.

Might still think about the non-mirror 500mm manual focus as that doesn't bother me as I shot a lot of 35mm film manual for years.

As I look at some things might reach out again for input.

Edd M.

"...manual focus as that doesn't bother me as I shot a lot of 35mm film manual..."

It isn't the same as it was on a 35mm camera.  They were designed for manual focus.  Current DSLR's like your Rebel T6 is not.  This makes it more of a challenge to get pin point focus.  That said, it can be done.  It is possible.

EB

Thanks again, learning more as I go.

Appreciated.

Announcements